Connecting Passive Sub to Receiver w/o amp?

L

loneshark

Enthusiast
I am a relative newbie when it comes to audio setups, so any help would be appreciated. I have a 5.1 setup in wall (R/L Rear, R/L front, center, in wall 12in sub). Not the most ideal, but the sub is passive (12" Pyle PDIWS12). It has +/- left outputs and +/- right outputs. the speakers will be wired to a Sony STRDH520 AVR).

Is there any way I can wire the sub directly into the AVR without an amplifier in between, according to the setup that I currently have? Thanks

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Im confused , The sub has +- +- for each voice coil, them arent outputs?

You will need an amplifier for your sub... That in wall sub is just a speakers on a wall plate, no x-over, sub, eanything, just a dual voice coil sub...

You can get an APA150 for under $160, that would be about your best bet. I have seen people mount a plate amp rite in the wall too, Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 332, But the apa150 has a built in xover and is a really good value..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When you say OUTPUTS, do you mean speaker connections aka INPUTS? IMO, you are better off with something like the APA as mentioned to power the sub. I wouldn't try to power a sub with that receiver.

L

loneshark

Enthusiast
Sorry, you are correct, these are inputs. If I were to get an old receiver and connect the sub into that and connect the old receiver into the new receiver, would that accomplish the task of amplifing the signal?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Why would you get an old receiver. Just get an old amp. A receiver will be a pain as it has too many controls. All you need is an amp. Dig around on ebay and you can pick one up for under $100 bucks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A receiver will work as long as it has an input for the sub, but an amp is likely easier. The signal would already be crossed over from your Sony, so a crossover isn't 100% necessary.

L

loneshark

Enthusiast
Could I wire the front right and left speakers into the sub for the low frequencies, out of curiousity. I know I wouldn't get the best quality out of the sub, but still may be worth a try if possible.

I read where you may be able to turn the subwoofer option off on the AVR and configure the front speakers to be large in this setup. Am I off or would this be do-able?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Could I wire the front right and left speakers into the sub for the low frequencies, out of curiousity. I know I wouldn't get the best quality out of the sub, but still may be worth a try if possible.

I read where you may be able to turn the subwoofer option off on the AVR and configure the front speakers to be large in this setup. Am I off or would this be do-able?
Since the sub sounds like it is basically just a driver installed I/B in the wall, I don't think that will work. Without an amp for the sub, you would have no way to cross the sub over, plus you would be driving the mains and the sub off your receiver, which as already mentioned, is probably not a good idea because it will likely clip. The reason most subs are powered is because bass is the most demanding in terms of power, and even most passive subs are actually intended to be used with a separate amp for the same reason. While it will work hooked up to your receiver, an external amp will be a much better plan (or buy a powered sub).

Sounds kinda goofy maybe, but you could also think about getting an inexpensive plate amp and installing that in the wall to power that driver. I've used a plate amp installed in a separate box for a passive sub before.

100W for under $100 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-802

Last edited:
L

loneshark

Enthusiast
What do you think of amp such as this?

Technical Pro IA25U Integrated Amplifier

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
You don't need an integrated amp (which contains a preamp) you just need a power amp. Additionally that unit has some pretty bad reviews and I doubt it's powerful enough.

L

loneshark

Enthusiast
thanks for the advice.

I have an in wall passive subwoofer, so the plate amp will be hard to pull off. I know its stretching it a bit, but is there a "decent" cabinet/rack power amp for under $150? I already have an AV receiver, this would be just to power the wall SW.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis