Connecting In-wall speakers to receivers

W

witseoh

Audiophyte
Hi. It's my first time here and I'm so lost! Help!!! :)

I moved into a house with in-wall speakers built it. I have 10 speakers inside the house and 4 speakers located on deck. In my basement, there are 6 pairs of wires (white + black) with LAN cable. Then there are 3 wall "volume controllers". I was recommended to buy a 5.1 channel receiver which I did. Then when I got home, there are 6 sets of wires, and only 5 sets of place to hook the wires. I've connected them, and only 6 speakers were producing sounds. Each wall volume controllers are linked to something that looks like a LAN cable, but no light comes out when trying to change the volume.

I hope that makes sense. I was told to buy 5.1 channel, but now I'm wondering whether I really needed it. If not, then what must I buy? How do I connect this?

I've been struggling with this for the past 2 days and I'm getting bit fed up...

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

KeithL

KeithL

Audioholics Approved Vendor
Friend, you need more information. There are a million different ways the various speakers and volume controls could be connected together, and no hard standard to go by.

Did you look carefully for any little "wiring maps" stuck in or taped up near where all the wires meet? Someone who knows what they're doing could sort it all out with an ohmmeter, by opening up all the boxes and ringing out where the individual wires go, or by playing a test tone into each set of wires, one at a time, and seeing which speakers it comes out.

The volume controls could be passive in-line controls or active controls that expect to be telling an "intelligent amp" what to do - the LAN wires suggest the latter. If so, then you need to replace the amp with something they recognize or you won't be able to use them. A good start there would be to open up one of the volume control boxes and see if there is a brand name or model number on it, and what sort it is.)

If you bought from the original owners, perhaps the easiest way would be to ask them if they have a diagram anywhere; it couldn't hurt,

If you "go in blind", you might actually damage your amp, and you probably won't get the best performance from the whole setup.

Hi. It's my first time here and I'm so lost! Help!!! :)

I moved into a house with in-wall speakers built it. I have 10 speakers inside the house and 4 speakers located on deck. In my basement, there are 6 pairs of wires (white + black) with LAN cable. Then there are 3 wall "volume controllers". I was recommended to buy a 5.1 channel receiver which I did. Then when I got home, there are 6 sets of wires, and only 5 sets of place to hook the wires. I've connected them, and only 6 speakers were producing sounds. Each wall volume controllers are linked to something that looks like a LAN cable, but no light comes out when trying to change the volume.

I hope that makes sense. I was told to buy 5.1 channel, but now I'm wondering whether I really needed it. If not, then what must I buy? How do I connect this?

I've been struggling with this for the past 2 days and I'm getting bit fed up...

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis