Connecting Computer speakers to PS3 via optical cable

hector1403

hector1403

Audiophyte
Hello friends,

My current situation doesn't allow me to buy a home theater setup right now so was thinking of utilizing my computer speakers for watching movies through my ps3.
So I want to know whether I can connect my computer speakers to my ps3 via optical cable.

Any suggestion/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
How do you do the video part? TV, computer monitor?

hector1403

hector1403

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum!

Which speakers do you own?
Thanks a lot :)
I have Bose companion 2 multimedia speakers.

I know there are much better speakers out there but with my current space constraints they fit the bill.
Do you think it would be okay to connect these with my ps3 to get decent output ?

hector1403

hector1403

Audiophyte
How do you do the video part? TV, computer monitor?
Its a simple setup. Video part is via hdmi cable from my ps3 to my TV.

Basically I am trying to get good sound from my computer speakers when connected to my PS3+HDTV setup.

Right now I am feeding them using my TV via an audio cable which has RCA audio on side and 3.5mm on another side.

I have heard optical is the best way to get output from your ps3 so I was trying to find if its worth buying optical cable + (optical to 3.5mm adapter) so that it can be connected to my speakers.

Thanks

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Its a simple setup. Video part is via hdmi cable from my ps3 to my TV.

Basically I am trying to get good sound from my computer speakers when connected to my PS3+HDTV setup.

Right now I am feeding them using my TV via an audio cable which has RCA audio on side and 3.5mm on another side.

I have heard optical is the best way to get output from your ps3 so I was trying to find if its worth buying optical cable + (optical to 3.5mm adapter) so that it can be connected to my speakers.

Thanks
You can't connect your speakers like that. Optical audio cables transmit digital signals, which need to be decoded (usually) and converted to analog before the signal can be amplified and sent to the speakers. Your Bose speakers do not have digital to analog converters, meaning they can't accept a digital input signal. They will only work with analog audio (ie red and white cables or 3.5mm headphone plug). So basically you have them hooked up correctly.

The optical to 3.5mm cables that you refer to are primarily designed for use with computers. Many computers use a 3.5mm jack that outputs both analog audio and digital optical signals. Those cables won't work with your speakers for the reasons stated above.

hector1403

hector1403

Audiophyte
You can't connect your speakers like that. Optical audio cables transmit digital signals, which need to be decoded (usually) and converted to analog before the signal can be amplified and sent to the speakers. Your Bose speakers do not have digital to analog converters, meaning they can't accept a digital input signal. They will only work with analog audio (ie red and white cables or 3.5mm headphone plug). So basically you have them hooked up correctly.

The optical to 3.5mm cables that you refer to are primarily designed for use with computers. Many computers use a 3.5mm jack that outputs both analog audio and digital optical signals. Those cables won't work with your speakers for the reasons stated above.
Thanks skers.
So what I understood is that speakers cant take digital input directly.
They must be fed analod signal either directly or via some AV receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis