Connecting center speaker problems

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
Hello
I just bought a center klipsch speaker to add to my two floor standing speakers and subwoofer that already work.
I have a dennon receiver . I stripped the wires and ran them into the back and screwed them down with the plastic screws on the back of the speaker and receiver. I'm not sure if I ran the wires in correctly into the back of the receiver. I unscrewed the screw and put the wire through the side opening.
In speaker setup I selected center channel and tried both small and large center speaker selections and it is not working.
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Josh

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Hello
I just bought a center klipsch speaker to add to my two floor standing speakers and subwoofer that already work.
I have a dennon receiver . I stripped the wires and ran them into the back and screwed them down with the plastic screws on the back of the speaker and receiver. I'm not sure if I ran the wires in correctly into the back of the receiver. I unscrewed the screw and put the wire through the side opening.
In speaker setup I selected center channel and tried both small and large center speaker selections and it is not working.
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Josh
Josh,

Welcome to the forum.

What model of Denon receiver?

Please confirm, your orignial front right and front left speakers still work normally, and the only problem is the new center speaker not working.

If you push the stripped wire in a bit too far into certain connectors, when you tighten down the retainer, sometimes you end up catching plastic insulator--leading to no electrical connection and no sound.
- Double check you have a metal to metal connection on both ends with both wires (+ and -).

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Josh
Did you go the speaker set up menu and click "YES" to center speaker?

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
Avr 1612
600 watt
Thanks

Josh,

Welcome to the forum.

What model of Denon receiver?

Please confirm, your orignial front right and front left speakers still work normally, and the only problem is the new center speaker not working.

If you push the stripped wire in a bit too far into certain connectors, when you tighten down the retainer, sometimes you end up catching plastic insulator--leading to no electrical connection and no sound.
- Double check you have a metal to metal connection on both ends with both wires (+ and -).

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Play the radio (Tuner input) in "5 channel stereo" or "7 channel stereo" mode. If you get sound in the Center speaker, it is connected properly and you need to adjust settings for multichannel audio. If there is no sound from the Center while playing the radio, switch it with either the Left or Right speaker. If the Center still does not play, you may have a DOA.

Note: Switch speakers only with AVR off and disconnected from Mains.

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help

Thanks guys
I lost my microphone to use for detect and measure.
I used it with the setup wizard to setup before I bought the center.
Am I screwed without it or is changing it manually good enough.

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
Thanks
I'll give the suggestions a try when I get off in a few hours

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
It works when I do a test tone but not with anything else

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
I found the mic and did the setup wizard and it worked fine plying the calibration sounds. However it still will not work with music or tv/blu ray.

Any other suggestions??

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Your inputs or sound processing are misconfigured. I dunno how Denons work specifically but you want to make sure it's set for some kind of multichannel output and not stereo. Dolby PLII, Dolby Digital, etc.

How are you getting audio from the TV and BD player to the receiver? What kind of connection, and how is it routed?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It works when I do a test tone but not with anything else
That is really odd. If the test tone works the center channel amp must work.

Double check you speaker menu settings, and make sure you have the center properly enabled. Also make sure the receiver is not in direct or stereo mode. Do the surrounds work, in five channel stereo mode.

I have to think this is most likely a set up mistake somewhere.

If all else fails do a reset back to the factory default settings, and do your set up from scratch.

B

bigguns300zx

Enthusiast
Ok
I went to audio signal and it is set on stereo.
However it will not allow me to change it.
I'm not sure what else to do?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok
I went to audio signal and it is set on stereo.
However it will not allow me to change it.
I'm not sure what else to do?
This is all explained on page 32 of your instruction manual.

Select, Movie, Music or Game and a list of your options will appear on the TV screen.

Now scroll down and select the one you want by pressing enter. To change modes the selected device must be playing on that receiver for some reason.

Now we at least know why your center channel did not work. As I suspected you did not set it up right.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis