Connecting cable to receiver without cable box?

T

ThomasKindle

Audiophyte
Hi guys, hopefully you can answer this newbie question.

I have a hdtv connected to my receiver via hdmi. All my speakers are also connected to my receiver.

Unfortunately, right now I have no cable box, so I only have a coax ANT.IN connection for the cable, which I'd typically connect directly to the TV. However, I don't get sound this way because I don't route through my receiver. How is this typically done? Does everyone just have a cable box?

Thanks,
Thomas

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi guys, hopefully you can answer this newbie question.

I have a hdtv connected to my receiver via hdmi. All my speakers are also connected to my receiver.

Unfortunately, right now I have no cable box, so I only have a coax ANT.IN connection for the cable, which I'd typically connect directly to the TV. However, I don't get sound this way because I don't route through my receiver. How is this typically done? Does everyone just have a cable box?

Thanks,
Thomas
Does you TV have any or a selection of audio outs? If so connect the appropriate one to your receiver.

T

ThomasKindle

Audiophyte
Does you TV have any or a selection of audio outs? If so connect the appropriate one to your receiver.
Oh I see. I thought hdmi already does this in one cable? So I'd still have to connect the audio outs through the receiver anyway?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Usually, from a TV, the best you will get is stereo and that is how you would connect it (analog). With HDMI, the TV is usually the end of the line, as in from cable box to receiver, receiver to TV, not the other way around. The cable box then passes the audio to the TV. I know there are some sets that can pass through the information, but if you have other devices that are also HDMI, it would make more sense to have the receiver be the hub and only have one connection to the TV.

T

ThomasKindle

Audiophyte
Cool, thanks guys. I think that pretty much answers my question. Wow, I'm really new to this AV world.

Thomas

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
HDMI is a one way connection, the audio from the TV won't kick back through HDMI. Since you TV has HDMI I assume it will also have a Toslink or Coaxial digital output, I recommend using this connection for your cable sound. I have found most analog (White and Red RCA connections) on TVs to have clipping problems that can present unnecessary hazards for your Home theater receiver or speakers (heavy excursion from low level clipping). It's not so important how or why it happens, just that it's a common problem and you should avoid using analog audio output connections on TVs in my experience.;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis