Connecting a Yamaha 2700 to a Cable box

J

jcolon181

Enthusiast
Yamaha 2700
Difinitive Technology BP2004, CLR 2002,BP2X and SuperCube I
Sharp LC-52D62U
XBOX-360

I recently purchased the Yamaha RX-2700 home theater receiver with Definitive Technology speakers. I’m having trouble hooking up my Motorola DCT6416 III Digital DVR cable set up box. The cable box has a HDMI out put but I’m not getting any picture or sound. What will be the best way to connect the Cable box to the receiver and get a great picture. When I had the cable box connected directly to my TV with the HDMI out on the cable box it worked fine. Now that I tried conntecting it to my Yamaha I have no picture and sound. I could really use some help.

Thanks

Jay

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
First, let me ensure the obvious. Are you connecting the receiver to the TV with HDMI? The 2700 will not transcode from HDMI to any other output.

Assuming you are running HDMI to the TV, that leaves the cable box. Cable boxes have been notorious for being finicky when it comes to connecting through receivers via HDMI. There may be a firmware update available from your cable company to resolve the issue. I know Comcast in my area has resolved the issue with their Motorola boxes. You may want to give your cable provider a call and see if they can help.

J

jcolon181

Enthusiast
The Receiver is connected to the TV with a HDMI cable, the cable box is also connected to the receiver with a HDMI cable. They are connected to the appropriate input- output connections on the receiver. Can you tell me what you meant by 2700 will not transcode from HDMI to any other output? I’m new at this and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out, I called the cable company and emailed Yamaha. I had no response from Yamaha and the cable company, well the customer support person really didn’t help any.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can you tell me what you meant by 2700 will not transcode from HDMI to any other output?
It means that if video is coming in to the receiver through HDMI, it will only leave through HDMI.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Can you tell me what you meant by 2700 will not transcode from HDMI to any other output?
It means that if video is coming in to the receiver through HDMI, it will only leave through HDMI.
To add more info: Receivers generally won't convert downwards. As No. 5 said, if it comes in as HDMI, it will only go out as HDMI - it cannot be downconverted to component video or any lower analog format. That also usually applies to component video - component in cannot be downconverted to s-video or composite.

But that is not your problem. My money is with Hi Ho and the idea that the cable box doesn't work well with a 'repeater', like a receiver, in the middle. First though, try to verify the settings on the cable box and make sure it is set to output over HDMI. If that is correct, your best bet is to attempt to get the cable company to offer a firmware upgrade.

J

jcolon181

Enthusiast
Rx 2700

I'm still having prroblems with connecting the cable box to my Receiver. I tried calling Yamaha but they didn't even pick up the phone. Wow I paid good money for this receiver and I can't get any support from them. Does anyone know a tech support number I can call from Yamaha?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha won't be able to help you with this problem. It is not a problem with the receiver, it is a problem with the cable box. The HDMI switcher in a receiver is known as a repeater. When an HDMI connection is used there is a process known as an HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) handshake. The cable box is expecting to handshake with an HDMI receiver (such as a TV). It does not recognize the repeater as a valid device and therefore it will not allow the signal to go through.

As I mentioned before, this issue may be resolved with either a firmware update or simply a new box. You should try contacting the cable company.

Now, I will take a stab at one other possible solution, also a critical step. Have you assigned the specific HDMI input to the input you are using? For example, if you are using the "DTV/CBL" input and have the cable box connected to "IN2 DTV" on the back you will need to assign "IN2 DTV" to "DTV/CBL".

Go to "Input Select" in the receiver setup menu then go to the input you want to use for the cable box. Go to "I/O Assignment" then select "HDMI". Choose the HDMI input that you have the cable box connected to.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think it may be something simple that you're missing or doing incorrectly.

IE... make sure your HDMI/In's & out's arent crossed. You may need to flick a switch or press a button on your receiver to activate the HDMI-out port....etc, etc, etc...

If the HDMI from the cable box works when connected directly to the TV, then is should work just fine going through the receiver. Check your manual thoroughly, because I think you've missed a single minute detail.

good luck

J

jcolon181

Enthusiast
Connecting a Oppo DV-981HD DVD player to the Yamaha RX-2700

To connect a Oppo DV-981HD DVD player to the Yamaha RX-2700 should I use the Up scaling on the DVD player or the Receiver and do I have to configure the input / output on the receiver or is it plug and play type deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis