Connecting a new subwoofer to a vintage receiver

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
I have a vintage Yamaha CR1020 receiver I would like to connect new Klipsch Speakers and subwoofer to.
My new Klipsch R-112SW subwoofer has no High Level inputs and my receiver has no sub-out.

What is the optimal method to connect these two components?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a vintage Yamaha CR1020 receiver I would like to connect new Klipsch Speakers and subwoofer to.
My new Klipsch R-112SW subwoofer has no High Level inputs and my receiver has no sub-out.

What is the optimal method to connect these two components?
I would have thought it would have been sensible to sort this out before you bought the speakers and sub.

You can do this, but unless you buy an electronic crossover you will have limited bass management, as your sub has no high pass out.

You need an RCA to RCA stereo cable.

Connect one end to both the pre outs on the Yamaha, and the other end to the two line ins on the sub.

Do not throw the switch on the Yamaha to break the connection between the pre outs and pre ins.

Now set the crossover on the sub to the F3 point of your speakers X 2 for starters. You did not say what model you have, so you will have to look at the spec sheet. Now advance the volume on the sub until you have the balance you desire. Now adjust the phase control until it sounds best to you and adjust for maximum output at a given volume setting.

Now it will not be possible for you to off load the bass from your main speakers unless you buy an electronic crossover.

In this case you would connect the preouts to the line in of the crossover. With a second RCA cable you would connect the low pass out to the sub.

This time you would throw the switch to break the link between the pre outs and the pre ins.

Now you would take a third RCA cable and connect the high pass out of the crossover to the pre ins of the Yamaha.

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
Would it surprise you that this is not the first time where what I expected to see on the back panel and what I actually found were two different things? I've got to get "it" together. Thanks for the help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Would it surprise you that this is not the first time where what I expected to see on the back panel and what I actually found were two different things? I've got to get "it" together. Thanks for the help.
I will give you an A + for being brutally honest, so welcome to Audioholics.

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
So the new plan is to switch the new Klipsch speaker system with the speakers I have connected to the HT system. This is the Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 system and the sub woofer has high level inputs.

After connecting to the Yamaha CR1020 with a pair of speaker wire I am experiencing sub woofer hum in the Pioneer SW-8MK2.

Do you think this is a ground loop issue? Both these systems live in the same room, the Pioneer sub never hummed when it was connected to the HT system. I tried plugging the sub and receiver into different power chords with no help.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So the new plan is to switch the new Klipsch speaker system with the speakers I have connected to the HT system. This is the Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 system and the sub woofer has high level inputs.

After connecting to the Yamaha CR1020 with a pair of speaker wire I am experiencing sub woofer hum in the Pioneer SW-8MK2.

Do you think this is a ground loop issue? Both these systems live in the same room, the Pioneer sub never hummed when it was connected to the HT system. I tried plugging the sub and receiver into different power chords with no help.
Yes, it is a ground loop.

Does the Klipsch sub have a three pin plug? If so convert it to two with a cheater plug.

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
I doesn't have a three pin plug, but after I reversed the polarity of the receiver's plug the hum diminished. And after I played a record on the phono it seems to have disappeared.

Does that seem odd?

The wiring in my house is very suspect, it is an old house that has had many owners.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I doesn't have a three pin plug, but after I reversed the polarity of the receiver's plug the hum diminished. And after I played a record on the phono it seems to have disappeared.

Does that seem odd?

The wiring in my house is very suspect, it is an old house that has had many owners.
You should not be able to reverse it. It should have a polarized plug. If not that is dangerous.

Make sure you at least mark the plug and make sure you never reverse it again.

Tracy Brink

Tracy Brink

Audioholic Intern
This receiver was made in 1977 and does not have a polarized plug.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis