Connecting A and B speakers

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Hello - noobie post...

I've ordered a Yamaha RS300 and a Niles SSVC-2 speaker selector with volume switches. I think I have two options of connecting these to two sets of speakers (A and B). Speakers A are a pair of bookshelf Klipsch and Speakers B are a pair of Polk outdoor speakers - all are 8ohms of course.

1) Connect the Receiver to the Niles (through only the Speaker A connection on the Receiver), and use the Niles box to choose which speakers are on and control Volume A and Volume B from the Niles box. But... no remote control to turn off A or B.

2) Connect the Receiver to the Niles box but only for Speakers A. Use Speaker B connection to connect directly to Speakers B. Now, using the Niles, I can control the "relative" volume between A and B and I can use the Yamaha remote to turn A or B on/off.

I was starting down with (1) in order to protect the receiver (I think this is a safe approach?) but if (2) would be relatively safe, I'd like to have the option to use the Yamaha remote to choose A or B speakers.

Thoughts? Thanks!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would recommend using the receiver and forgetting the switch box. Just remember that choosing A and B halves the nominal impedance the amplifiers see. May be a problem or not. Usually not. The bombproof choice is to use either A or B and not use A and B.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would go the safe route, that's just me. I'm not implying you cannot safely do it the other way, but I prefer to run appropriate loads on my equipment.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
you can safely do it either way. The choice is what you want to give up.

As you said, if you connect the speakers directly to the receiver, you can control the switching remotely.

If you go through the switchbox, you lose the ability to switch speakers remotely but you do gain the ability to control each set's volume individually.

Which is more important to you?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would recommend using the receiver and forgetting the switch box. Just remember that choosing A and B halves the nominal impedance the amplifiers see. May be a problem or not. Usually not. The bombproof choice is to use either A or B and not use A and B.
But if he uses A & B, no independent volume control.

Roy,
I don't know if you are committed to the items you have bought, but I think the easiest and best way to do this is to get an AVR which has both a main zone and Zone 2. These receivers are made to control two sets of speakers.

This is the least expensive option I would recommend (staying away from Onkyo):
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs700w/denon-avr-s700w-7.2-4k-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Or if you prefer Yamaha:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv575bl/yamaha-rx-v575-7.2-channel-network-av-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

These are better deals just because volume production (and the associated manufacturing/distribution efficiencies) are with AVR's in todays market.

Note that these will give you network connectivity and well as the ability to connect to digital inputs from your source. However, if a phono is important, you'll have to either add a separate phono pre-amp or pay a bit more for an AVR with a phono input.

One last thought, and probably what I would do is simply have two different stereos. The speaker selector is close to the cost of a second R-S300. Unless your systems will be far apart, I would split the source signal and feed two separate receivers. (or have two entirely separate systems if they are not in adjacent rooms.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Spot on KEW, I wish I had thought of that. The Yamaha very clearly has an option to run zone 2 from the surround back channels. No issues with impedance matching and the RX-V575 does a lot more than just a standard stereo receiver.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone!

Looking at the Denon (back), I don't see where you would connect Speaker B?

And yes, I was trying to avoid paying more / separate Phono pre-amp.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Let me add that I want to play the same music, sometimes to A (family room), sometimes to B (the deck), and sometimes to A and B (people at a party moving between the two rooms). So two receivers won't do it - I'm not sure 2 zones does either (?). I just don't want to burn the receiver, but I do want the same source music going to A, B, or A/B.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
I think given the built in Phono input, and the look and feel of the RS300 (versus the too digital looking AVRs out there), I'd like to stay with that. But is there a power safety difference between options 1 and 2 above?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There is no power safety issues with two speakers.

However, if you will be playing both speakers simultaneously one might be louder than the other. I think having each pairs volume controlled independently will be a tangible benefit.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Thanks. My understanding is that two pairs (2 to A, and 2 to B) could be an issue due to impedance, etc. I think my prior Sony receiver burnt out b/c of that (and/or I shorted something).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. My understanding is that two pairs (2 to A, and 2 to B) could be an issue due to impedance, etc. I think my prior Sony receiver burnt out b/c of that (and/or I shorted something).
Check your manual to be sure, but two pairs of 8 ohm speakers is usually acceptable unless you crank it to eleven. It's when you mix and match lower impedance speakers that problems arise.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Awesome - thanks! I guess then I don't technically need the Niles box, but it will let me fine tune the Speaker A volume versus Speaker B so my guests don't move from a moderate volume room to a louder room b/c the Speakers aren't the same of course, and outside speakers can never compete given the volume of space.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Here's what the manual says (regarding the High Impedance option):
If you use two sets of speakers simultaneously, each speaker must be at least 16 Ohm (except for U.S. model) - then of course it doesn't say anything more about the U.S. model!!!

For the Low option, it says each speaker must be at least 8 Ohm (without mentioning U.S. model).

Ahhh!!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here's what the manual says (regarding the High Impedance option):
If you use two sets of speakers simultaneously, each speaker must be at least 16 Ohm (except for U.S. model) - then of course it doesn't say anything more about the U.S. model!!!

For the Low option, it says each speaker must be at least 8 Ohm (without mentioning U.S. model).

Ahhh!!!
You do this long enough you start to realize it becomes wiser to ignore manufacturer specifications, for your sanity.

Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Some online articles suggest ignoring the impedance setting - and keeping it at 8 Ohms (versus 4) for sound quality. But which is SAFER for avoiding burnout?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Putting into 4 ohms will help to protect the amplifier better. It does this by restricting power output overall. Try it with the setting on and as long as you don't hear any stress or lose power altogether (protection shut down) you should be fine.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Roy Costa

Roy Costa

Enthusiast
Thanks again guys for the advice. Given my budget (I'm already in trouble with the wife), I opted to stay with the Yamaha and to allow me to control the relative volume of deck / family room, got the Niles box. So Yamaha is connected to Niles box via Speaker A, and Niles box is connect to only the family room. Yamaha is connected directly to deck via Speaker B. I kept the impedance on the receiver at 8 for now, and so far it works. The one I added was that I opened up the Yamaha and attached a small computer fan right on the top grill of the Yamaha so it vents it pretty well. Not sure why manufacturers don't this for receivers but I'm sure I'll have to keep an eye on dust collection. Here's a shot of my set-up (the Niles box and my AirPlay box are hidden)...

23jweiM4fmE65QxNMmZgangMZWV_DxmjY9tP6V9MCJE.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis