Connect PC to HT suggestions?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am getting interested in connecting my pc to my HT receiver. What are options for doing this?

I have a newer pc that I got last winter. Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core duo chip running at 2.2 GHz and plenty of memory. The HT receiver, in the next room, is an older Denon receiver, AVR-1800, which still has some unused optical digital connections. The computer and receiver are on opposite sides of the same wall, so running some cable between them would not be trouble.

Should I look for a sound card with digital outputs? I have seen one for as little as $25 that at first glace seems like it would do the job. Or should I use something like a Logitech Squeezebox? It costs more and I don’t think I need the wireless abilities. Is there something I’m overlooking? I have read the AH Squeezebox review.

I’m just starting on the learning curve for connecting a PC to an audio/HT system, so any suggestions of other soundcards or devices, or your experience with doing this are welcome.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There have been a few threads on this around here over the past year, so you might find some good info by doing a quick search. I'll try to give some ideas here, though:

1. In my experience, sound cards have always beat onboard audio when it comes to analog outputs. I can't speak for digital.

2. The only downside to using the digital audio output on a computer that I can think of is that receivers can't handle some of the gaming audio codecs (I might be saying that wrong). However, it seems like you just want to listen to music, so digital would be fine for that.

3. For wireless, you have a number of options. One that comes to mind for optical digital audio are the Apple AirPort Express units. If your Dell already has a wireless transmitter, then you'd just need one of them.

4. I don't know if you would tell any difference between the digital audio versus analog audio if you got yourself a good soundcard.

Does your Dell have any audio outputs right now?

Adam

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You need a BD player anyway right?

I have the same computer as you, I rip all my music into WAV files and then do wireless to my PS3.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I would check out this

But if you just want something simple then digital audio is the best thing you can send from a computer. Stay away from brands like Turtle Beach and anything that sounds like it should be a vacation destination rather than a piece of computer hardware.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I think this is one of those topics where you may get quite a variety of answers, as what one prefers will depend a lot on their familiarity with computers. 4 years ago I got a go video dvd player that could wirelessly stream music and videos from my pc. It worked pretty good and was cool at the time. Since then however I have my pc connected right to my receiver and believe that is the way to go.

The best option is a digital output I believe. I bought a $20 chaintech 7.1 audio card and it has worked great for me. It can bitstream DTS and DD for movies if needed, so that might be something you want to keep in mind for future options. It is definitely the cheapest potential solution versus buying a device to stream media. Heck, I might even have a Hercules pci audio card I could send you if you just want to play around with one, I think it has an optical output.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
With the computer and receiver in different rooms, I'm guessing something like the Squeezebox, that'll let you browse thru your music collection w/o having to be at your computer is what you'd want... Don't think you can do that w/ just a soundcard.

jinjuku

jinjuku

A TOSLink cable is simple, effective, and cheap. Just run it through the wall like you were thinking about. Your receiver will handle the rest.

If the computer has built in optical you are good to go. No need to bother with an add on sound card. Also the same applies for SP/DIF.

How are you going to control playback remotely?

BTW I have been running a full blown HTPC for ~2 years now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
With the computer and receiver in different rooms, I'm guessing something like the Squeezebox, that'll let you browse thru your music collection w/o having to be at your computer is what you'd want... Don't think you can do that w/ just a soundcard.
A TOSLink cable is simple, effective, and cheap. Just run it through the wall like you were thinking about. Your receiver will handle the rest.

How are you going to control playback remotely?
Thanks for all the replies. They have helped me come closer to a decision.

The Squeezebox is looking more attractive because I could control it via a remote in the same room as the HT. With a direct digital connection from the PC, I would have to go the PC in the next room to select and play music. That will get old quickly. The wireless option allows two Squeezeboxes playing music off of one computer - one in my music-only system upstairs and one for my HT downstairs.

Thanks for the link to the Popcorn Hour A-110. I'm still considering whether I want video capability as well.

Are there any competitors for either the Squeezebox or the Popcorn Hour?

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Oh yah, scratch my input if you're not planning on having a video connection as well. I have both my monitor and tv connected to my pc and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. If you're not sure you want to go that far then a stand alone streaming device would be better, and cost might be a wash if you would need to get wireless input devices and possibly a dual monitor out video card.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis