Connect Everything To Receiver?

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
I have my BluRay player and HDTV both connected to my receiver via HDMI cables. However, I have 2 DVD recorder/players without HDMI capability. Do I connect them with component video cables directly to the HDTV or to the receiver? Also, with either HDMI or component video cables, do I also need to connect an audio cable or do the component video and HDMI cables also carry audio? Thank you.

Tom

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
HDMI carries audio but componant cables do not. You can run your componant cables straight to the tv and then run a toslink or optical to the reciever for audio. If your reciever upconverts your componant to hdmi then you can just run your dvd players to the reciever and then when you want to watch one of them change the input to the source you want to watch. You will still need to send audio from the dvd players to the reciever.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I have my BluRay player and HDTV both connected to my receiver via HDMI cables. However, I have 2 DVD recorder/players without HDMI capability. Do I connect them with component video cables directly to the HDTV or to the receiver?

It depends. If you want to do the switching via the receiver, and if the receiver can convert analog video (composite, S-video, component) to digital to be sent out via HDMI, then you should hook them up to the receiver. If the receiver does not convert the video, then you would need to also run a component video cable from the receiver to the TV if you are going to hook up the players to the receiver.

If you don't want to do the switching with the receiver, then you would hook them up to the TV. However, to get the sound properly, you would still have to hook up the audio to the receiver and switch things on the receiver, so you might as well just hook them up to the receiver and use its switching for both audio and video.

Also, with either HDMI or component video cables, do I also need to connect an audio cable or do the component video and HDMI cables also carry audio? Thank you.

Tom

With HDMI, it depends on your receiver whether or not it can accept audio via HDMI (and you also need to have the player set to output audio via HDMI). If your receiver can accept audio via HDMI, that is the best way to send it to your receiver.

With component video, that is video only with no audio at all. So with that, you need to hook up something else for the audio. With DVD players, you will want to hook up digital audio outputs to the receiver (either optical or coaxial; it does not matter which).

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
Right now I have the 2 DVD recorder players going to the HDTV. So if I leave it connected like that it sounds like I need to run an audio cable from the HDTV to the receiver? The Receiver is a Yamaha RX-765 so I think it converts analog to digital? Maybe I should just go to the receiver with everything?

Tom

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
No, you need to go from the dvd players to the reciever for audio not from the tv. It is better if you can send it all to the reciever first.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Right now I have the 2 DVD recorder players going to the HDTV. So if I leave it connected like that it sounds like I need to run an audio cable from the HDTV to the receiver?

You might think that, but most TVs will not pass a 5.1 signal from their inputs to their digital outputs, even if the TV will output Dolby Digital 5.1 from broadcasts (received through its tuner) via its digital outputs.

I recommend that you hook everything up to your receiver directly and use its switching.

The Receiver is a Yamaha RX-765 so I think it converts analog to digital? Maybe I should just go to the receiver with everything?

Tom
Yes, it will convert the video to digital to go from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. So what I would do is hook everything up to the receiver, with the best connections possible*, and hook up the receiver to the TV with HDMI for sending the video to the TV. If you use the tuner in the TV, you will also want to hook up the TV's digital audio output to the receiver for the best possible sound from it.

*HDMI for everything that has it, then for your DVD players without HDMI, component video and digital audio (either optical or coaxial, it does not matter which). I would not bother hooking up any other connections from those players (unless you need it for output to your recorder), because that way you will not accidentally select a lessor audio or video option when watching things; you will either get the best possible connection, or if you switch to the wrong thing, you will get nothing for picture or sound or both. With a recorder, you will need to hook up its inputs as well, for both audio and video (again, I would use only the best connections possible, which probably means stereo analog for the audio for your DVD recorder).

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
OK, so I have the HDTV (and BluRay player) connected to the receiver via HDMI. I should run everything (DVD recorders, BluRay, and all) to the receiver. I'll run the 2 DVD recorders to the receiver via component video cables...then run audio cables from the DVD recorders to the receiver. Is that all correct?

Tom

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so I have the HDTV (and BluRay player) connected to the receiver via HDMI. I should run everything (DVD recorders, BluRay, and all) to the receiver. I'll run the 2 DVD recorders to the receiver via component video cables...then run audio cables from the DVD recorders to the receiver. Is that all correct?

Tom

Yes. However, it is likely that the receiver will not convert from digital to analog line level outputs (check the manual), so if you need to record any source via analog, you will probably need to connect its analog output as well, but otherwise, there is no need for extra connections (as mentioned above).

Now, some people like to hook things up directly to their TVs so that they don't have to turn on their receivers to watch and hear everything, but everything will sound better with the receiver. If you did not want to have to turn on the receiver to watch and hear something, then you would want to connect it directly to the TV, but otherwise, it is better and simpler to just hook everything up to the receiver.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General

Tom
You got it, just dont forget to check your manual about how to assign the inputs and outputs so they are working with each source you have hooked up.

F

farout

Audioholic Intern
I have my BluRay player and HDTV both connected to my receiver via HDMI cables. However, I have 2 DVD recorder/players without HDMI capability. Do I connect them with component video cables directly to the HDTV or to the receiver? Also, with either HDMI or component video cables, do I also need to connect an audio cable or do the component video and HDMI cables also carry audio? Thank you.

Tom
i was just talking to dennon rep. when i bought a avr 1911 and noticed the few component inputs over the HDMI. he told me their company is getting away from components connections to adding more HDMIs on their new lines of receivers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis