M

MikeLeone

Enthusiast
I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver. The specs say:

"80 Watts per Channel at 8 Ohms, 20 Hz?20 kHz, 0.7%, 2 Channels Driven,
FTC; 110 Watts per Channel at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9%, 2 Channels Driven,
FTC – AV Receiver"

I am considering some Pioneer speakers that say:

80 watts maximum power, 6 Ohms impedance.

That says to me that this speaker handles 80 watts of power at 6 Ohms,
but my receiver puts out 110 watts at 6 Ohms ... more than the speaker
is rated for ...

Is that correct?

The next size speaker model lists:

130 watts maximum power, 6 Ohms impedance.

which should easily handle the power, I think.

Am I correct that I need the set rated for 130 watts max power, with my receiver? Or will the 80 watts model be able to handle the load?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your 80 watt speakers will be fine if you don't crank the volume. They should be able to handle peaks above 80 watts too, but you don't want to run any really loud sounds through them for a sustained period. Also if you are running more than just two speakers with that receiver, it will not be able to put out that kind of juice to the speaker anyway, as that is its rating if only running two speakers. Add more speakers and it has much less energy to run to each speaker.

M

MikeLeone

Enthusiast
Your 80 watt speakers will be fine if you don't crank the volume. They should be able to handle peaks above 80 watts too, but you don't want to run any really loud sounds through them for a sustained period. Also if you are running more than just two speakers with that receiver, it will not be able to put out that kind of juice to the speaker anyway, as that is its rating if only running two speakers. Add more speakers and it has much less energy to run to each speaker.
Ah, good to know. Yes, I will be running a 5.1 setup, so I should be OK. And I live in the city, with neighbors on both sides of 2 common walls, so I can't really crank it up too loud.

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis