Computer->Toslink->Receiver Issue

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
When troubleshooting why something doesn't work, the cable is usually the first thing I try to elminate as a suspect.

You're using a laptop. Bring the laptop over to the receiver, use a shorter cable, and see if it works. If it does.. bingo. Your 100' $25 optical cable is the culprit.

The fact that other things work with the cable is completely irrelevant. Every diode and processor is going to have a different minimum functional level.
Already did that, said that in the same post you just quoted :p

Anyways, I also said that the same 100ft cable isn't dead when other sources are hooked up to it and tun to the onkyo and that it isn't dead when run from the macbook to a different output than the onkyo. Maybe it really is just a weak signal and I need a booster like TLS guy said.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I shelled out another $30 and got a Behringer UCA202 and it arrived today. Plugged it in plugged the "cheap" toslink in to that and the receiver and everything works like a charm. Sound quality is even pretty good and now, even though I didn't really need it, I have bit more output flexibility for the old macbook. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis