P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Hi!
I am looking for a new set of speakers for my computer, after reading for more than a month I think that I should go with a pair of KEF's LS50 and a NAD 3020D as the amplifier and DAC for them.
The only concern I have now is speaker placement, they will be really close from me (Computer desktop) But as they are designed for nearfield that is no problem. But they will have to be really near to the rear wall (2") I supose I should Use the foam for the bass port.Any experiences on this? Will I loose a lot of bass with that foam?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Your real problem will be that the speakers aren't designed for near or on wall placement. With the port blocked you will lose bass at the tuning of the port. That is the least of your worries however. Baffle Step is the real issue potentially.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
I think I will go for the KEF's if they dont convince me they will be returned,
About aplifier. NAD 3020D or Yamaha RN500?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I would not use either amps. The KEF LS50's have an impedance drop to 3.2 ohms and an efficiency of 85db. I would be looking at more robust amplifier. The LS50 is not the easiest speaker to drive and it likes power.

The NAD C356BEE or C375BEE would be on my list instead of the D3020. I wouldn't use that Yamaha either. The A-S700 or A-S1000 would be much better.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
I would not use either amps. The KEF LS50's have an impedance drop to 3.2 ohms and an efficiency of 85db. I would be looking at more robust amplifier. The LS50 is not the easiest speaker to drive and it likes power.

The NAD C356BEE or C375BEE would be on my list instead of the D3020. I wouldn't use that Yamaha either. The A-S700 or A-S1000 would be much better.
Those NAD's are too expensive, and the AS700 has no DAC. :/

Doesn't the RN500 have enough power?? The 3020D has only 30W but the yammy:

Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe)105 W + 105 W
Maximum Power(8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD)115 W + 115 W
High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)105/ 125/ 150/ 178 W

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
</tbody>

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
At low volumes the Yamaha would be ok. But it might get stressed if you push it. Notice how Yamaha does not state a continuous 20-20khz 4 ohm rating. Yamaha makes good equipment but the lower end stereo receivers are not the best at driving difficult loads. Keep in mind the R-N500 is essentially the R-S500 with a bunch of networking features and digital inputs. I own the R-S300 and it's not the most capable amp with 4 ohm loads. I would save more money for a better amp. You could also get the Yamaha A-S701 if you saved and must have an internal DAC. If you had chosen a more efficient speaker your choices would probably be fine. But with the LS50 I would use something more robust.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
At low volumes the Yamaha would be ok. But it might get stressed if you push it. Notice how Yamaha does not state a continuous 20-20khz 4 ohm rating. Yamaha makes good equipment but the lower end stereo receivers are not the best at driving difficult loads. Keep in mind the R-N500 is essentially the R-S500 with a bunch of networking features and digital inputs. I own the R-S300 and it's not the most capable amp with 4 ohm loads. I would save more money for a better amp. You could also get the Yamaha A-S701 if you saved and must have an internal DAC. If you had chosen a more efficient speaker your choices would probably be fine. But with the LS50 I would use something more robust.
These will be near field speakers, placed really close to me. SO I won't have to turn the volume up a lot.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Keep in mind even with near field listening neither of these will be getting the most from the LS50. Sorta like dropping a 4-cylinder engine into a Corvette when it should have a v-8.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Keep in mind even with near field listening neither of these will be getting the most from the LS50. Sorta like dropping a 4-cylinder engine into a Corvette when it should have a v-8.
So AS701 should be OK? My only req are digital Inputs (Toslink at least) and below 600-700$

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Why not just get an amp and DAC separately ? Much better way to go IMO. If one fails you still have the other. You also get more options. It's a win win situation and does not have to be complicated.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Why not just get an amp and DAC separately ? Much better way to go IMO. If one fails you still have the other. You also get more options. It's a win win situation and does not have to be complicated.
Any suggestion? Problem with that is more $$$

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Since the NAD C356BEE is out of your range the C326BEE would be a better choice than the Yamaha R-N500. The NAD along with a Schiit Modi or possibly a Meridian Explorer or Audioquest Dragonfly would be 650-700.

A straight power amp, volume control, and DAC could work as well if you only need the one input and not much flexibility.

Amps - ATI AT602, Parasound 275v2
Volume Control - Emotiva Control Freak
DAC - Emotiva XDA2, Schiit Modi, Meridian Explorer, Audioquest Dragonfly, FIIO D03 Taishan, Muse Audio Mini DAC

So here you have two different scenarios that will bring you in on budget or possibly under and work better. Especially at driving the LS50's. Hope this helps.:)

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Since the NAD C356BEE is out of your range the C326BEE would be a better choice than the Yamaha R-N500. The NAD along with a Schiit Modi or possibly a Meridian Explorer or Audioquest Dragonfly would be 650-700.

A straight power amp, volume control, and DAC could work as well if you only need the one input and not much flexibility.

Amps - ATI AT602, Parasound 275v2
Volume Control - Emotiva Control Freak
DAC - Emotiva XDA2, Schiit Modi, Meridian Explorer, Audioquest Dragonfly, FIIO D03 Taishan, Muse Audio Mini DAC

So here you have two different scenarios that will bring you in on budget or possibly under and work better. Especially at driving the LS50's. Hope this helps.:)
Thanks!

Buff this is so hard to decide :p

I just wish I could go for the NAD 3020D and don't have a room full of bulky audio equipment.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
BTW, just saying. What about the Marantz PM6005 or the Onkyo A-9050?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I wouldn't touch Onkyo. I have personally had three Onkyo components. Two have died just out of warranty and the other was defective within one week. That model of Onkyo has questionable power ratings as well. The Marantz could work. Didn't think of that one. I would still go with the NAD as it has pre out and main in jacks which allow you to upgrade to a bigger amp in the future and use the NAD as a pre amp. Not a bad thing when you consider the specs of the LS50's.

I have also thought some more and the NAD D3020 might work ok considering the type of amp it uses. If you really like the D3020 go ahead and order it. Try it out and if it does not power the LS50's ok then send it back. No risk what so ever and you wont be second guessing yourself in the future. I can understand your wanting one component. It's just not always the best route. Especially with audio equipment. But give it a shot and if it does not work out you have some great alternatives. Don't get stressed.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't touch Onkyo. I have personally had three Onkyo components. Two have died just out of warranty and the other was defective within one week. That model of Onkyo has questionable power ratings as well. The Marantz could work. Didn't think of that one. I would still go with the NAD as it has pre out and main in jacks which allow you to upgrade to a bigger amp in the future and use the NAD as a pre amp. Not a bad thing when you consider the specs of the LS50's.

I have also thought some more and the NAD D3020 might work ok considering the type of amp it uses. If you really like the D3020 go ahead and order it. Try it out and if it does not power the LS50's ok then send it back. No risk what so ever and you wont be second guessing yourself in the future. I can understand your wanting one component. It's just not always the best route. Especially with audio equipment. But give it a shot and if it does not work out you have some great alternatives. Don't get stressed.
I will buy the NAD 3020D then :D how will I know if It can't handle the speakers well? (New to audiophile world, loved the KEF's)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Sounds good. Let us know how everything works out when you get it hooked up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis