Computer system noise coming out of speakers!

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Hello,

I am running a fairly powerful computer and I am noticing a lot of system noise coming through to my speakers (electrical noise when the system is under any kind of stress).

Currently my speakers are a pair of Krk Rokit 5's, with a Krk Rokit 10s subwoofer.

I am using a fairly cheap DAC, a Creative Soundblaster X-fi HD (USB DAC) which under normal situations shouldn't cause issues like this. So I ran an RCA to 3.5mm converter and tried running it straight to the computer 3.5mm jack, EXACT same sound - if not louder. My guess at this point was that nothing was shielding the signal going to my speakers.

Using the exact same 3.5mm jack I connected my Klipsch Image S4 earbuds and heard absolutely no noise. This same thing happened when I used another converter to connect it to my DAC.

So now my best guess is that the speakers are much more sensitive to the noise, what would be my best bet to get rid of the sound? I'm assuming a new DAC would be my first option but I'm not completely sure

Thanks in advance!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had similar issue. My solution was two staged: Get RFI filtering surge protector from Triplite and AudioEngine D1 connected with Optical to pc
Also to some degree shielded rca cabled helped a bit

Did you tried changing the usb port ?

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
I tried all of the USB ports on the computer with no success. I have been meaning to purchase a good surge protector as well.

I have been looking at the D1 DAC for awhile now but I wasn't sure if it would fix my problem in specific, would it shield the speaker signal pretty well? (I'm assuming shielding is my biggest issue).

To add to the "symptoms", the noise is more prominent whenever anything stresses the computer... say if I turn on a video game it gets unbearably loud - even youtube is enough to spike it higher.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The key is the optical connection - it cannot pass thru any rfi noise from the pc, so the signal shielding is full-proof. I briefly tested it with usb too and did not notice any issue, but ymmv
. D1 has 30 days home trial - see if it's works - if not simply return it

jinjuku

jinjuku

An audio interface with XLR will solve the problem. Also going optical would as well. The noise you are hearing (HD access and such) is the Switched Mode PSU. You may want to try an Antec EarthWatts PSU as another solution. There are a few ways to solve this problem.

In my testing the only way I could get noise out of my computer was to install a typical computer power supply (see what I am using in my sig), tie shield at the audio output end on my TRS connector and leave it floating at the amp. I could hear all kinds of crap at that point.

When I switch to the linear, regulated Tripplite and a DC to DC ATX converter no more noise. So with that setup I know there isn't any audible RFI present on my system what so ever. Which instead of suppressing it is elimination of it (which is where you want to be).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis