Computer subwoofer build.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Ok I love my Overnights... Now I would like to build a subwoofer for them.
First off I'm not looking for something loud. I would like to used this plate amp.
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa100-100w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-802
I want that running an 8 inch driver. I haven't picked the driver yet.
As far as the enclosure goes.. I can do sealed or ported. my current Energy sub is a 16"x10"x10" ported box and fits nicely under my desk. I can do sealed or ported... I just want something that is going to blend nicely with my Overnights.
Is there a program I can use to plan my cabinet design??
As far as tools, I have a table saw, miter saw, router, router table, drill, drill press, and plenty of others that I have been wanting to use. My cabinet making experience is low...
Oh I will be purchasing a circle guild for my router to do this build though.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Consider the Dayton 8" HO kit. All the pieces are already measured and cut, and all that's left is to cut a hole for your amp, glue and clamp it together, and stain / finish it. If I modeled it correctly, that driver in that enclosure (sealed) should result in a Q of about 0.66 (maybe about 0.64 with a half pound of poly-fil or so, which is very good), and should play about 87dB (anechoic) at 20Hz with the 100W amp you picked out.

Unrelated: since you're adding an audiophile setup to your PC, you should check out Equalizer APO for flattening your response at your listening position.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Its tempting for sure... and it may be what I end up with, however I would like to try to buy the MDF and build my own cabinet. I did some calculations and figured that if I did a 10"x10"x20" cabinet with a 1.5" baffle and .75" outside walls it will give me .75^3 feet of interior volume... however that is before you figure the space that the amp and the speaker magnet will consume... and that is also without any internal bracing. Using this driver..
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210ho-4-8-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-458
I may be able to get some decent performance and it would fit under my desk like a glove... However it all reality, I have zero clue what I'm talking about. Other then basic math to figure interior volume, and reading specs, I have no clue how something will perform...
It may behoove to go with pre-built. But if I go buy a slab of MDF from Home Depot for 20 dollars... I really dont have that much to loose.
Heh I've already invested 100's in the tools that I really dont know how to use yet :)

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
The equalizer APO is something I will check out fur sure.. even more then my home theater, my computer is my serenity, quiet space, for my own personal reflection. I often listen to music at my PC and the overnights that I put together have enhanced that... if I am able to build my own sub, and then custom tune everything to my man throne... along with the PC that I custom built for myself...
well heh.. I may annoy everyone that I know cause I wont stop talking about it. :)
DiY to the extreme

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic

This is the space underneath my desk right now... that energy sub is 10x10x16 and fits nicely under there. I want it to my new build to stay under that lip which gives me 11.5" to work with in height. With the grill on it is about 11.5" deep which is completely manageable. As far as length goes I have a lot of play, I can go up to 24".
If I do an 11x11x18 box I figure that will give me approximately .82^3 ft of interior space with no bracing.
I can do this style of bracing

with 4 rows of 1x1 approximately 7" in length, the 16 braces will take up approximately .055^3 ft of volume, the little triangles up against the baffle would make that number jump to about .56^3 ft.
Doing the math that would give my enclosure approximately .76^3 ft of interior volume before adding the driver or the amp.
Would I get similar performance to the Dayton box from a box like this??

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Build started

just ordered the $40 jasper circle jig... I really hope I get this right the first time.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like you already cut the hole? Why would you want a jasper jig? I do not recommend them. I have them and use them, but they are a pain to use IMO. A router buddy is supposed to be much better.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Oh haven't cut a hole yet the picture in the earlier post was an example of how I wanted to do my interior bracing. I had never heard of a router buddy before you mentioned it in your post... but the jasper is ordered and due here tomorrow. I did buy it from Amazon though so if it doesn't work out... :)

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic

cabinet is together and braced

Baffle is cut, not bad for my first try. I actually found the jig really easy to work with.
Next step is going to be experimenting with the corner rounder on my router... then making everything look nice.
If I keep up this pace I may have to order the driver and amplifier before too long. :p

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Just order it!!!! I would! .... Maybe not the best person to take advice from :confused::p

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
didn't you sound test a sub for a month before you finally got around to finishing it?
actually progress is temporarily on pause for this build. We just got the floors done in the living room, and since the room is clear of furniture, the wife decided we should paint in there as well. You can imagine how excited I was about this, but you don't argue with boss.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Rounded off the edges and toying with the idea of a black vinyl cover... Since this is going to be hidden under my desk it is a test bed for lots of experimenting. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis