joe6pac

Audiophyte
I'm looking for information or reference material on components to build a PC based stereo with decent audio. I use iTunes music browser. All music (80gb) is generic mp3.

Currently, I have a 2nd PC (ancient) temporarily located near my stereo (15' RCA connection & ext HD), but my wife says it's gotta go, so streaming is in my future, but hard wiring via open basement is a consideration.

My primary PC and music inventory is in my man cave where the 2.1's work just fine. I'd like to retire the 2nd PC.

Any info or references would be helpful.

Thanks

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
You’ll need three things: A high-quality sound card, active speakers, and a small powered subwoofer.

For the speakers I’d recommend the Swans M200MKII. For a sub, a small 10-incher will do. Most sound cards have only a single pair of outputs, so you’ll have to use splitters to get the signal to both the sub and mains. This means the main speakers will run full range. However, their natural bass roll-out will roughly coincide with the 60-80 Hz range where you’d want the sub to take over.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You sound slightly confused as to what exactly you have or need.
You already have a pc in you man cave - if you need better audio on it - something along the lines Wayne suggested. Does you pc have optical out?
If so - your best bet would be something like Behringer MS40.
If not, probably you'd need a decent sound card - something like this will do fine
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751844-REG/ASUS_XONAR_DG_Xonar_DG_Sound_Card.html

you'd need speaker - I love my JBL LSR2325p speaker and I'll highly recommend them. You might not even need a subwoofer for most music.

btw: Prepare to start hating highly compressed mp3 files ;) :D

Regarding your living room - this might do the trick with wife:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Question

I have a question. Your wife says that the "ancient" PC tower needs to go. O.K. That's understandable. My thoughts are in her camp, because many of them were not room friendly visually or space wise. And wouldn't you also would like a bigger computer that is way less intrusive? May I suggest a powerful laptop computer for that purpose? Many of today's laptop computers blow away some desktop PCs of maybe five years ago _ sound cards, hard-drive space, and almost everything else. Many DJs that I've met use laptops in their systems and it all works beautifully. Just a thought.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I want to have better sound for my PC as I do have a good sound card. I still would like to upgrade fron the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 I have now. I will keep reading this thread and see what my options are.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I Have a Thought

I want to have better sound for my PC as I do have a good sound card. I still would like to upgrade fron the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 I have now. I will keep reading this thread and see what my options are.
If I am understanding correctly what you are trying to do, try what I did. On the back of your PC, there probably is a 3.5mm audio out jack [the same size as most portable headphone jacks]. My guess is that your Pro Media system might be presently using that jack. If so, get a 3.5mm to left and right phono connector cable and connect the PC to an unused stereo input on the A/V receiver. One catch: you may have to use a ground loop isolator with it to eliminate a loud buzz that some PCs generate for some reason. That is what I did and now I have awesome sound from the PC.

Attachments

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
If I am understanding correctly what you are trying to do, try what I did. On the back of your PC, there probably is a 3.5mm audio out jack [the same size as most portable headphone jacks]. My guess is that your Pro Media system might be presently using that jack. If so, get a 3.5mm to left and right phono connector cable and connect the PC to an unused stereo input on the A/V receiver. One catch: you may have to use a ground loop isolator with it to eliminate a loud buzz that some PCs generate for some reason. That is what I did and now I have awesome sound from the PC.
I will need a long cable. My PC is about 25 feet from the AVR. Good Idea. I will look into this. Thanks
Louis

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
My wife purchased this audio card and controler box several years ago and I am trying to learn how to hook it as it just was never hooked up (the controller box).(don't ask :mad: ) I got her a lap top and I have the main PC now a huge full size case.
http://www.xpcgear.com/xfielitepro.html

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor_lcs/ve2000swa.asp

The water pump had problems several times as I removed it after a year and added several more large fans to cool the Intel DG965WH mother board.

Sorry for the thread jack . I am better with speakers etc then a PC and needed the advise.
Thanks
Louis

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis