Computer Stereo System B&W 686 S2?

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
[SUP]​[/SUP]Hi!

I've been sticking around with a 2.1 auto amplified system from Altec Lansing for my computer sound for almost 5 years now; as I spend about 5-8 hours a day sitting in front of the screen and listening to music (Even if Im not using the computer)

I think it's time to pull the trigger and build a higher end sound system. I've been looking around and found the Yahama RN 500, as it has its own DAC, I will connect my computer via toss-link to it, IMO it has all features I need and delivers good sound, furthermore it is now on Sale (360€).

The problem comes at choosing Speakers, as they have to be placed in top of the desktop and hearing distance will be 50-80 cm I am quite lost here. I've been looking at the old B&W 685 (Whose sound I love) but they are quite big.

Could you suggest a nice pair of speakers or should I go for the Bowers?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
It seems the B&W 686 S2 are a very good option, but they will be placed at like 50-80 cm separation from each other an as said, will be listened from a short distance. Any problem with that?

selden

selden

Audioholic
Listening to quality speakers from nearby usually works quite well. Because you're listening to them from so close (aka "near field"), you have the advantage of hearing their output before it has had a chance to reflect from walls and many other surfaces. However, notice that these speakers do not produce low frequency sounds very well. Their specs claim that they fall off significantly by 65Hz. This means that they'll attenuate the lowest frequencies produced by pianos and several other musical instruments. You might want to consider supplementing them with a subwoofer. (A web search for "musical instruments frequency spectrum" will produce graphs showing how low many of them go.)

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Listening to quality speakers from nearby usually works quite well. Because you're listening to them from so close (aka "near field"), you have the advantage of hearing their output before it has had a chance to reflect from walls and many other surfaces. However, notice that these speakers do not produce low frequency sounds very well. Their specs claim that they fall off significantly by 65Hz. This means that they'll attenuate the lowest frequencies produced by pianos and several other musical instruments. You might want to consider supplementing them with a subwoofer. (A web search for "musical instruments frequency spectrum" will produce graphs showing how low many of them go.)

Yeah, that us what I've read. Any good sub you recommend with good bang for the buck and not too bulky?

selden

selden

Audioholic
Larger subwoofers can reach lower frequencies, but since this isn't intended to be a full-blown home-theater, one of the smaller ones (8-10" or so) probably would be fine. Unless you're a bass-head, of course ;) Since you seem to like B&W, an ASW608 or 610 might be appropriate. Many people like the subs available from internet companies like SVS and HSU. They're less expensive but very high quality.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Larger subwoofers can reach lower frequencies, but since this isn't intended to be a full-blown home-theater, one of the smaller ones (8-10" or so) probably would be fine. Unless you're a bass-head, of course ;) Since you seem to like B&W, an ASW608 or 610 might be appropriate. Many people like the subs available from internet companies like SVS and HSU. They're less expensive but very high quality.
450€... Eats half my total budget LOL, what are those cheaper but good brands?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
pkeynote ... is the room so small that u can't install an AV rack for an amp/receiver and put the bookshelf's on stands? You'll get a bigger soundstage and unclutter your desk at the same time.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Sorry, I was hoping your budget might be somewhat higher. The two brands I mentioned are based in the US, so of course, shipping and VAT will increase the expense to you. :( I'm not sure what brands to recommend that are readily available in the UK. Don't bother with Bose, of course: they spend their income on advertising, not product development. Pioneer might be appropriate: they're well known for quality speakers, although not so much for their in-home subwoofers. (They're heavily into car audio.) And, of course, you might want to investigate pre-owned equipment. That could stretch your budget quite a bit farther.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
pkeynote ... is the room so small that u can't install an AV rack for an amp/receiver and put the bookshelf's on stands? You'll get a bigger soundstage and unclutter your desk at the same time.
Space is not a problem, 14 square meters. About stands, I've thought about it but the desk is touching the wall and I sit in one side not in the middle (1,8m long table) Would that be a problem?

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Sorry, I was hoping your budget might be somewhat higher. The two brands I mentioned are based in the US, so of course, shipping and VAT will increase the expense to you. :( I'm not sure what brands to recommend that are readily available in the UK. Don't bother with Bose, of course: they spend their income on advertising, not product development. Pioneer might be appropriate: they're well known for quality speakers, although not so much for their in-home subwoofers. (They're heavily into car audio.) And, of course, you might want to investigate pre-owned equipment. That could stretch your budget quite a bit farther.
I'm in Spain, AFAIK usual brands are here as well.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
[SUP]​[/SUP]Hi!

I've been sticking around with a 2.1 auto amplified system from Altec Lansing for my computer sound for almost 5 years now; as I spend about 5-8 hours a day sitting in front of the screen and listening to music (Even if Im not using the computer)

I think it's time to pull the trigger and build a higher end sound system. I've been looking around and found the Yahama RN 500, as it has its own DAC, I will connect my computer via toss-link to it, IMO it has all features I need and delivers good sound, furthermore it is now on Sale (360€).

The problem comes at choosing Speakers, as they have to be placed in top of the desktop and hearing distance will be 50-80 cm I am quite lost here. I've been looking at the old B&W 685 (Whose sound I love) but they are quite big.

Could you suggest a nice pair of speakers or should I go for the Bowers?

Thanks a lot!
Go this route. You will not regret it.

SP-BS22-LR - Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers, Ideal for 2 Channel Listening and 5.1 Surround Sound Systems | Pioneer Electronics USA

STF-2 Subwoofer

This puts you at $453 USD before shipping and VAT.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
If you're using a sub, the bass that the speaker produces relative to a different speaker doesn't matter.

Are you using a sub??

I

Irishman

Audioholic
The new Series 2 600 line from B&W are improvements sonically in every way over their predecessors. They'll be great for music on your PC. :)

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
[SUP]​[/SUP] I've been looking around and found the Yahama RN 500, as it has its own DAC, I will connect my computer via toss-link to it, IMO it has all features I need and delivers good sound, furthermore it is now on Sale (360€).
If the computer is your only signal source, an AVR is a waste of money, not to mention real estate. It makes more sense to get a good set of active desktop monitors. Taking out the AVR will leave you more money to spend on good-quality speakers.

A problem with speakers like the B&Ws you mentioned is that they are not designed for near-field listening. Used as desktops they may be way too bright, and their imaging might be highly focused.

I’m using the superb Swans M200 coupled with a Velodyne 10” sub. You should have no problem getting the current top-of-the-line MKlll model and a sub and stay within your budget. If that doesn’t suite your fancy there is no shortage of good-quality powered pro audio studio monitors available.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Space is not a problem, 14 square meters. About stands, I've thought about it but the desk is touching the wall and I sit in one side not in the middle (1,8m long table) Would that be a problem?
No ... a good AVR will equalize the sound and the obvious toe-in to the speakers. I have the exact same setup ... maybe? ... in The Fortress of Solitude ... pardon the mess.

... obviously you don't need that monstrosity of a furniture piece that I have here but it will definitely sound better than 2 speakers no more than 2 feet from your face and what, 3 feet apart? simple physics tells you it will sound better. I've tried both, this is my preference.

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
No ... a good AVR will equalize the sound and the obvious toe-in to the speakers. I have the exact same setup ... maybe? ... in The Fortress of Solitude ... pardon the mess.

... obviously you don't need that monstrosity of a furniture piece that I have here but it will definitely sound better than 2 speakers no more than 2 feet from your face and what, 3 feet apart? simple physics tells you it will sound better. I've tried both, this is my preference.

Thanks for the pics, so I should place the speakers separated, what about at 7ft each from another but in an angle which I'm in the middle?

P

pkeynote

Junior Audioholic
Aren't studio speakers too plain when it comes to sound? So the B&W won't sound good when listened from 2-3ft?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the pics, so I should place the speakers separated, what about at 7ft each from another but in an angle which I'm in the middle?
Bingo ... you got it. mine are probably about 7 to 8 feet apart but you'll be fine. I've also used a pair of KEF LS50's books in here at one time and the sound was splendid. no comparison to me on what sounds better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis