A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Hey I'm quite new to the audiophile world but I have been taking a liking to higher end systems. I'm looking at buying some speakers for my computer system and I need some advice from the experts!

My budget is (preferably) around $300 Canadian - also keep in mind that means the speakers have to be available in Canada hopefully. I'm a student currently so the budget can't go much higher however in the summer I'm looking at upgrading.

So I'm looking for a 2.0 system that has great sound for a medium size bedroom AND that I can hopefully add a sub-woofer to in the summer to get the lows. The price limit for the woofer in the summer will probably be around $400.

The types of music I listen to are rock, funk, and a lot of acoustic stuff.

So would anybody have any recommendations for around that price range? I've heard a lot of good stuff about Audioengine but also some bad stuff, including the sub-woofer S8 being a bit loose?

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Is $300 also for an amp too? If so, $300 isn't going to stretch very far.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Behringer TRUTH B1030A is good budget alternative... but if you can find a deal on JBL and could afford them go with jbl pro - you won't be disappointed.

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice! So judging by the replies it would be good to get passive speakers with an amp, if I moved the budget to $400 would I have any more luck (it would be pushing it slightly at $400).

As well, I looked up the Behringer TRUTH B1030A and found it for $209.98 for two, at that point what would I need to get it running on my computer? Would that be worth it?

And BoredSysAdmin, what kind of prices would the JBL systems be? Based on a first look I'm not too sure what would be good for a computer setup/good price point.

Thanks again!

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Okay, I'll take a look at that. The USB audio interface though, would I be fine just having a high end sound card in my computer?

As for the speakers and others, what would you recommend to go with that amp?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I suggest one of two options. A pair of Behringer B2030P (P=passive) speakers and a used a/v receiver. The Behringers are homely as heck but are very good budget studio monitors. I suggest a used A/V receiver (AVR) because most have bass management which will make integrating a subwoofer easier. The B2030P sounds especially good up close but have little output below 80hz.

Or you could bust your budget and go with Behringer B2031A powered studio monitors and connect them directly into your L&R speaker outputs on your computer. They play deep enough that you may not need a sub. The downside is that the built-in amplifiers don't have a great reputation for reliability.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
That is a good recommendation about the A/V receiver so you can run 2.1 in the future. With the deals NewEgg and Fry's are having every week/weekend, you can get a good new receiver for $200-$250.

See how easily we just pushed your budget from $300-$500, all in 9 posts?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the advice! So judging by the replies it would be good to get passive speakers with an amp, if I moved the budget to $400 would I have any more luck (it would be pushing it slightly at $400).

As well, I looked up the Behringer TRUTH B1030A and found it for $209.98 for two, at that point what would I need to get it running on my computer? Would that be worth it?

And BoredSysAdmin, what kind of prices would the JBL systems be? Based on a first look I'm not too sure what would be good for a computer setup/good price point.

Thanks again!
I believe mentioned the pricing for jbl speakers above. I don't think you should go with receiver and passive speakers system for pc system if 2.0 is all what you need. You'd be better off with ether good multimedia speakers or pair pro monitors. For ether of them all you need a solid audio interface. Most likely your pc's soundcard is too noisy - possible exception if you have a mac computer you might not need it and just use built-in sound card

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Well I was thinking about buying a nice $100+ soundcard for my PC, but I think I've made my decision about this whole thing.

Spending 300-400 on a system will probably severely limit what I can do. So I'm probably going to buy a good ~$200 pair of powered speakers now and then build up a nice set in the summer... and instead make the budget for the nice one around $800?

Would $800 get me a good system you think?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I was thinking about buying a nice $100+ soundcard for my PC, but I think I've made my decision about this whole thing.

Spending 300-400 on a system will probably severely limit what I can do. So I'm probably going to buy a good ~$200 pair of powered speakers now and then build up a nice set in the summer... and instead make the budget for the nice one around $800?

Would $800 get me a good system you think?
what type of system are thinking for $800 ? 2.0? 2.1 or full blown 5.1 ??

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Yea $800 can get you a good 2.0 with a decent receiver. Much past that and you are reaching. You could wait for some deals and get a good 2.1 system for $800 or a small 5.1 (Energy Take 5) if you want just good and not great sound.

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
I think for my computer I'll go for 2.0 or 2.1. No need yet for a 5.1 especially if it will sacrifice the quality of sound.

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
The lsr2328p looks nice, I think in the summer I'll definitely drop at least $800 on a system, for now I'm thinking of getting the Audioengine A2 to tide me over since they are $189.99 at NCIX. Unless of course someone knows of a better system for the price?

J

JazzGuyy

Audiophyte
The Audioengine 2s are within your price range and sound very good for computer use.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis