Computer Speaker Help...

M

Masse1369

Enthusiast
Finished deciding on HT gear. Doing a 5.1.4 GoldenEar Atmos setup...5s, XL, MPX, 650, PB13-Ultra

Next up is home office. It's the first room as you walk in the house so it needs to have ultimate WAF. Something either gloss black, gloss white (Apple look) or a darkish wood is preferred. I'm going to use the Peachtree NOVA65SE as a DAC/Amp combo. Their D4 speakers might be an option because you can match the veneer to the DAC/Amp.

What is something that has a great WAF, sounds good nearfield and will have no problems running off 65W? My desk is going to be at least 72x18 so I have will have plenty of width for spacing if need be...Might consider the Aon 2 if they work well nearfield since I like the GoldenEar sound.

Budget is $800 max for speakers. I don't want to have to use a subwoofer so I would prefer them to have a decent amount of low end extension. I will add a sub at a later date if need be to fully complete the system.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks.

M

Masse1369

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion...I wouldn't be against going active and using something like a Dragonfly 1.2 DAC. Still reaches my goal of being totally clutter free. I did however just notice that the SVS SB1000 in available in white. LOL I might have to go for the ultimate 2.1 computer setup.

The Audioengine A5+ and Aperion Audio Allaire also get good reviews. Seems like people prefer the Aperion. Anything like this coupled with a Dragonfly 1.2 and the sub would put me in the same ballpark price wise. I'm not even an Apple person but I started my own golf company and I have to use an iPhone and I use a MacBook Air already. And another one bites the dust...(long time Android guy) LOL

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Peachtree speakers (formerly ERA) are fantastic little speakers. They belay their size and they're very nicely finished. I think your first assumption was the correct one.

I don't have a lot of experience with the mentioned powered monitors but generally powered monitors have their limitations and upgradeability suffers. Monitors also tend to sound more analytical. Again, I don't experience with the specific monitors mentioned here.

All that said, the ERA (Peachtree) speakers have a very smooth sound to them, they are generally very relaxing to listen to.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I don't want to have to use a subwoofer so I would prefer them to have a decent amount of low end extension.
Sorry, but that ain’t going to happen with speakers with little 5-6” woofers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

Sorry, but that ain’t going to happen with speakers with little 5-6” woofers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
OPs definition of low end extension could differ from yours or mine. That said the ERA designs sacrifice efficiency for extension with albeit a sharp roll off, but they hit a solid 60hz and a little lower depending on the model.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you don't have the amp yet I would take a look on used Genelec monitors. They have really good sound and looks pretty good as well and are used in quite many studios. Behringer has some Genelec copies that sound amazing and are much cheaper but they look pretty awful.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Finished deciding on HT gear. Doing a 5.1.4 GoldenEar Atmos setup...5s, XL, MPX, 650, PB13-Ultra

Next up is home office. It's the first room as you walk in the house so it needs to have ultimate WAF. Something either gloss black, gloss white (Apple look) or a darkish wood is preferred. I'm going to use the Peachtree NOVA65SE as a DAC/Amp combo. Their D4 speakers might be an option because you can match the veneer to the DAC/Amp.

What is something that has a great WAF, sounds good nearfield and will have no problems running off 65W? My desk is going to be at least 72x18 so I have will have plenty of width for spacing if need be...Might consider the Aon 2 if they work well nearfield since I like the GoldenEar sound.

Budget is $800 max for speakers. I don't want to have to use a subwoofer so I would prefer them to have a decent amount of low end extension. I will add a sub at a later date if need be to fully complete the system.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks.

I wouldn't go with the GE Aon 2's for the desk, IMO I would go with a set of powered monitors. I would look at the Emotiva 6s as a solid alternative. Inexpensive, decent amount of bass extension, and though not quite HVFR Ribbions of the GE, their Folded ribbons do an excellent job with treble.

I have a set of the Emotiva on my computer desk and they sound great.

Last edited:
Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
image.jpeg
Here is a nice desktop system.

You can get any color you want.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall

You don't even say what they are? But anyways for hes needs/budget I would stay far away from anything that looks like that, no offense.

M

Masse1369

Enthusiast
I'm waiting to hear back from this Swiss company about pricing and availability: http://www.6moons.com/showcase/eversound/eversound.html. All of the other are good options as well. I'm kind of leaning towards the Aperion Allaire, SVS SB1000 and a Dragonfly 1.2.

That puts me around $1150 Total and has a lot of flexibility...

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will post back what I hear about those Eversound...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Masse1369 said:
I'm waiting to hear back from this Swiss company about pricing and availability: http://www.6moons.com/showcase/eversound/eversound.html. All of the other are good options as well. I'm kind of leaning towards the Aperion Allaire, SVS SB1000 and a Dragonfly 1.2.

That puts me around $1150 Total and has a lot of flexibility...

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will post back what I hear about those Eversound...
It's kind of awkward having a set of monitors where only one has power built in, but those look very nice and they should mate nicely with the SVS.

Hookedonc4 said:

Those are not exactly "waf" approved. They look like PC speakers from 20 years ago.

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
You don't even say what they are? But anyways for hes needs/budget I would stay far away from anything that looks like that, no offense.
The brand is right on the amp.

If you don't like quality sound than don't buy but I don't think it's about you...
No offense...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The brand is right on the amp.

If you don't like quality sound than don't buy but I don't think it's about you...
No offense...
Let's be real, shall we? That picture is pretty friggin' small.
Had you REALLY wanted to help you could have at least taken the effort to list the components.

Nice attitude.

...no offense.

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
Let's be real, shall we? That picture is pretty friggin' small.
Had you REALLY wanted to help you could have at least taken the effort to list the components.

Nice attitude.

...no offense.
It's on the amp Mark and I try to help.
Just responding but I'm done.
Made it bigger. Not trying to upset anyone.
Hope OP finds what he needs.
Thanks...

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's on the amp Mark and I try to help.
Just responding but I'm done.
Thanks...
You did not interpret Mark's post correctly. Like him, I saw the name on the amp, however, I cannot read it. The photo is too small to make it out.
So you have told us twice it is on the amp instead of simply saying what the brand is!:confused:

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Searched on the “EMB8 subwoofer” mentioned in the picture, and it looks like a James system. Still, I shouldn’t have had to work that hard... :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis