A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Hey so I'm looking at getting some speakers for my computer to upgrade from my Audioengine A2's, however my budget isn't the greatest, at the moment it's about $300. I'm also using a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD external DAC.

I like the quality in the A2's however they are definitely lacking in the low end.

Any thoughts on a solid system I could use? Thanks!!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not really sure how much low end you're gonna get with a budget of only $300. the audio engine A2's go about as low as you're gonna get in that price range to my knowledge. My advice would be to save up a bit more and try to set up a way to add a subwoofer. I don't see a sub out on the audio engine's so you may have to wait and save up for a better pair of bookshelves or maybe a little stereo receiver that has a sub output on it.

Also try using the search box and search for computer setups there is some great advice already floating around this website.

Good luck

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd say - you can add sub to your setup and configure your SB to cross-over
$300 is not much for sub, but you still can get some decent ones:

How big is your room, what are your uses and do you have size restrictions?

Sub could produce bass better than any $300 speakers would

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
Size restrictions are not an issue, I previously had a Z5500 in here (massive sub). I did find someone selling used Audioengine A5 (not A5+) for $150 and was wondering if I should go for that one. What subs would be good to add on to this setup if I went that route?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well if you plan to add a sub I probably wouldn't go to A5s. Use that money towards the subwoofer instead. I believe the A5s only get you another 15hz or so of extension so not really worth it if you want more low end.

STF-1 Subwoofer

M8 Powered Subwoofer

either of these options would put you under $300 and still give you good bass. It's hard to recommend a sub for less than about $300 because the quality tends to jump significantly in the $3-500 range.

I have the Z-5500 as well and while that sub is halfway decent, a good quality sub will sound so much better and tighter.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well if you plan to add a sub I probably wouldn't go to A5s. Use that money towards the subwoofer instead. I believe the A5s only get you another 15hz or so of extension so not really worth it if you want more low end.

STF-1 Subwoofer

M8 Powered Subwoofer

either of these options would put you under $300 and still give you good bass. It's hard to recommend a sub for less than about $300 because the quality tends to jump significantly in the $3-500 range.

I have the Z-5500 as well and while that sub is halfway decent, a good quality sub will sound so much better and tighter.
I agree - these are both good options.
I'd add two more: PA-120 - I own it and can confirm it's performance first hand. Not long ago it used to be $260 - ask these guys for better deal

Option b) Cadence CSX12 - I believe there is still a $100 coupon promo for AH members going on.
CSX12 Mark II - Cadence Sound Store

Both sub are 12" will have significantly more lower extension and power, but maybe at cost of transiency

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
I've been looking at the PA-120, I've found it at a few places for $299+shipping, I'll keep looking though.

A

Atalair

Enthusiast
One thing I'm not too sure about, does anyone know if the SB HD offers crossover so I can connect both the sub and A2's to the HD, or is there a better way to connect everything?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis