mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I need a recommendation of a good, reliable wireless router that is also easy to set up. Thanks.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
What you describe exists but is very expensive. You can get the features and reliability of an enterprise grad router for really cheap for a very small time investment. I never, ever, ever, ever, have to reboot my router or have any issues whatsoever with it, the only time it gets rebooted is for a new firmware revision.

Could you explain a little bit more what you need and I can you a wider range of suggestions.

1. Whats your budget

2. How much time are you willing to spend total for setup

3. How many wired devices will be connecting to this and at what speed 10/100/1000

4. How many wireless devices will be connecting wirelessly and at what speeds? (IE A/B/G/N)

5. What kind of wireless range are you hoping to attain? Do you want usable connectivity in the Front Yard, Back Yard, and Garage?

6. Does the location that you want the router have power nearby? If not you would want to look at a solution that offers Power Over Ethernet.

Note the uptime. :)

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, another case there applying some knowledge and going DIY route could get your a better product at cheaper cost... I wonder where else I could apply same idea :rolleyes:

Case in point : my Linksys WRT54G router - it's a POS stock, but with Tomato or DD-WRT - it's rock solid stable, easy to use and will get you insane uptime you desire.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Tomato ?!? Is he having a salad? :D

Seriously, the one I got is $65 now and I was able to set it up and I haven't had to do anything since. No rebooting or updating or any of that other stuff you guys are talking about that I'm not understanding ... I've even forgotten everything I learned when I was in the market for a new router ... which wasn't much to begin with. :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks, that looks interesting and not expensive, although I don't know what would be an expensive router.
What you describe exists but is very expensive. You can get the features and reliability of an enterprise grad router for really cheap for a very small time investment. I never, ever, ever, ever, have to reboot my router or have any issues whatsoever with it, the only time it gets rebooted is for a new firmware revision.

Could you explain a little bit more what you need and I can you a wider range of suggestions.

1. Whats your budget

2. How much time are you willing to spend total for setup

3. How many wired devices will be connecting to this and at what speed 10/100/1000

4. How many wireless devices will be connecting wirelessly and at what speeds? (IE A/B/G/N)

5. What kind of wireless range are you hoping to attain? Do you want usable connectivity in the Front Yard, Back Yard, and Garage?

6. Does the location that you want the router have power nearby? If not you would want to look at a solution that offers Power Over Ethernet.

Note the uptime. :)
Yes, another case there applying some knowledge and going DIY route could get your a better product at cheaper cost... I wonder where else I could apply same idea :rolleyes:

Case in point : my Linksys WRT54G router - it's a POS stock, but with Tomato or DD-WRT - it's rock solid stable, easy to use and will get you insane uptime you desire.
I don't have a budget but certainly less than $200? Perhaps around $100+/-?

I have an Airlink 101 that has been faithful for many years without an issue. Been using it wired with 2 computers at the beginning then a laptop can on the scene that needed to be wireless. Worked fine until I had to upgrade my cable modem not long ago to be more compatible with Comcast's new something, ver 3. Then, at least early on, had to power cycle the router almost every other day but it seems to be better now. Still, I think I need to ugrade it, maybe.

No gaming in mind but downloads from Netflix, etc and We like some speed;):D

Wireless in the home only, not garage or yard, probably 50 ft from 2nd floor to living room/family room. 2 computers on cable and most likely not more than 2 wireless but not all 4 at the same time. Or, I don't foresee that case.

I guess we have N gear now, at least the 100. Time? Don't want to spend all day setting it up;) and not too complicated.
Not sure what this Tomato is, a software program to modify an existing router, a specific router?

Many thanks friends.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have, and highly reccomend the D-Link DIR-655, it's very stable and works great, plus all the features you will probably ever want/need. The blue led lights are pretty bright, but not that big of a deal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd rec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326
just for the fact it's supported by dd-wrt firmware
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

The Netgear WNDR3700 is an extremely powerful consumer 802.11 a/b/g/n router, sporting a lightning fast Atheros CPU, lots of RAM, lots of flash space, and capable of high transmit power that even gives 2Wire a run for the money makes this router is ready for the future, and DD-WRT makes it even better. Installation of DD-WRT is very simple and can be done in a few steps.
option b:
much cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127241

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I agree with BSA. I have a Linksys E2000 with dd-WRT on it and it has been rock solid.

majorloser

majorloser

I went with a dual band router so I could switch over to 5 Ghz away from the 2.4 Ghz. I live next to an Air Force base and sometimes I get problems with 2.4 Ghz.

The D-Link DIR-825 I'm using was super easy to setup. I went ahead last year when I installed it and ran new Cat6 cables in my home. Also added a D-link DGS-2205 gigabit switch to the router to get a few more AV items connected. All I need now is to get FIOS in my neighborhood and I'll be set.

itschris

itschris

In plain English... what the heck is DD-WRT or whatever it's called... and Tomato? I thought one was a banned pesticide and the other something you put on a burger.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my home network so I'd like to have a cursory understanding of all this stuff.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In plain English... what the heck is DD-WRT or whatever it's called... and Tomato? I thought one was a banned pesticide and the other something you put on a burger.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my home network so I'd like to have a cursory understanding of all this stuff.
Both are alternative firmware for router - they both completely re-wrote everything (both forked from openWrt open source project)

They add tons of features, typically found in routers which cost 10x times more.
Tomato is more user friendly and have really nice reports, while DD-WRT is more techy, has more features and support much large range of routers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd-wrt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)

highfigh

highfigh

Do any of you IT guys have experience with Cisco managed switches? I'll post the model number later.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do any of you IT guys have experience with Cisco managed switches? I'll post the model number later.
My company is running several Cisco 3750 stacks (Layer 3, Managed) , I do have access to them and some basic understanding, however i'm hardy an expert

highfigh

highfigh

My company is running several Cisco 3750 stacks (Layer 3, Managed) , I do have access to them and some basic understanding, however i'm hardy an expert
Do you actually do the setup of these, or...? Do I need software (probably proprietary) or can I just connect it to a router, find its IP address and go into the setup? I don't do commercial/industrial networks but since I have a couple of these, I thought it would be a good idea if I learn something about them, in case I ever need to deal with them. Also, since IP cameras will come down in price, I could play with those, too. Just looking for more to stuff into my tool belt.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you actually do the setup of these, or...? Do I need software (probably proprietary) or can I just connect it to a router, find its IP address and go into the setup? I don't do commercial/industrial networks but since I have a couple of these, I thought it would be a good idea if I learn something about them, in case I ever need to deal with them. Also, since IP cameras will come down in price, I could play with those, too. Just looking for more to stuff into my tool belt.
Most Cisco routers and switches is running their own OS - IOS.
It's all command line and for initial setup you need special serial cable - basically RJ45 jack to DB9 cable - From there you could use HyperTerm built into windows 2000/XP (gone in Vista/7) or free Putty client

My advice to is start looking for CCNA prep-books and try to find software Cisco CCNA(or CCNP) simulator like Netsim or Pearson one:
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587202220

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Basically its extremely in depth and only for uber geeks, BSA provided some good info. I have my CCNA, so if you really want help let me know....just be warned its brutal.

@mtrycrafts I would second BSA's rec for that router. Its the very one that I was going to link but I got side tracked. Dual band is very important, especially right now as I'm sure you have both G and N devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

majorloser

majorloser

Dual band is very important, especially right now as I'm sure you have both G and N devices.
The nice thing about my D-Link dual band is it allows you to place priority on the 5 Ghz band. That way I could give priority to my laptops. I average around 130 Mbps throughout my house.

I had to buy a couple USB dual band adapters, though. The ones in my laptops were only 2.4 Ghz N band. I got a couple cheap Netgear refurbs from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122264&Tpk=WNDA3100-100NAR

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Again, many thanks to all of you. I need some Tylenol right now, head is spinning;):D

@mtrycrafts I would second BSA's rec for that router. Its the very one that I was going to link but I got side tracked. Dual band is very important, especially right now as I'm sure you have both G and N devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326
Let me also ask where do I look to see what frequency a wireless device is using.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis