just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i hope you guys can help me fix this. or at least point me in the right direction.

my desktop doesn't boot up. it was working fine. then i got a popup that said something about a driver or something not being found, idk. no problems. a lil while later, the same pop up. a short time later the puter shut down. the machine has shut down a few times in the past, a reboot = no problems.

now, all i get is this on boot up. then i goes between the black
"master/slave" screen, and the WINDOWS boot up screen. just keeps repeating.

well, watcha think ?
thanx

i am on my laptop = backup. and it is a bummer. uncomfortable to use.

what F# to start is safe mode ? :eek:

Attachments

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

oh

idk if the pop up had anything to do with it.
and i was on facebook setting up an account, when this happened.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
F8 will bring up the menu of start up options.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
If you get the screen again, copy the error code and do a search on it. This should bring up the definition. Do try booting off the XP disk and initiating a "repair." That should be all you need if you've suddenly lost a driver.

-pat

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If it goes automatically into disk error check and then reboots in the middle - it sounds like hard drive is kaput. I'd to boot pc from CD like Ultimate boot cd - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and do some disk diagnostics.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
If it goes automatically into disk error check and then reboots in the middle - it sounds like hard drive is kaput. I'd to boot pc from CD like Ultimate boot cd - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and do some disk diagnostics.
just-some-guy - you should do this prior to another step. The ultimate boot cd is a good thing to have on hand. There are diagnostic tools for just about every hard disk.
There could be some bad sectors on your disk. My laptop had this issue. I reformatted the drive and have had zero problems since (knock on wood).

-pat

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curios - Who left me this positive feedback "They need a "second" option alongside "thanks" and why did they meant by this?

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Just curios - Who left me this positive feedback "They need a "second" option alongside "thanks" and why did they meant by this?
I did. I hit "enter" to early. There should be a "Second that." button next to the "Thanks" for advice. :D

-pat

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

ok. i tried booting from the cd. i got to here,pic. but nothing i typed did anything, except Exit, that put me back at to my problem.

so, what do i type here ?

thanx

Attachments

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
ok. i tried booting from the cd. i got to here,pic. but nothing i typed did anything, except Exit, that put me back at to my problem.

so, what do i type here ?

thanx
You type 1 and hit enter. You can then type Help for a list of commands, but the first thing you should probably do is run chkdsk /r and be patient, it will take quite some time.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Turn your PC off right now....don't try and boot it up again as your HDD is likely on its last legs. Before you do anything else you need to make a backup of the HDD or you will lose you data. This is not a driver issue your HDD is failing.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Turn your PC off right now....don't try and boot it up again as your HDD is likely on its last legs. Before you do anything else you need to make a backup of the HDD or you will lose you data. This is not a driver issue your HDD is failing.
it sounds ok :confused: .

anyway. i have nothing to backup. i only have pics on it that i want. but i back those up on a memory stick.

i got this box from my brother. he works in computers, makes some bucks.
this was a cast away he picked up for me. so no tellin how many hours are on it.

i have a few older Hd's lay'n around. can i pop one of those in there and boot to XP CD ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis