Computer Network Question

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've got a question for the computer network experts here.

We've just upgraded to Optimum's Boost Plus. A faster modem
That goes through this Netgear switch: FVS318#

When I (bypass) the Netgear switch I get much faster download speeds of 60.27Mbps and upload of 8.14
When I go through the switch it consistently slows to Download - 7.4Mbps and Upload speed halved.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Rick, when you have the Netgear in the loop, does the "100" light turn on for your connected component(s)?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like it's dividing the bandwidth and giving an equal amount to each network spot.

Does it have a settings menu anywhere?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
@Adam Yes it does have the 100 light on

@Isiberian Pretty sure it does. I'm looking for my password, I have it written down here...somewhere

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have OO Boost with pretty consistent 62-64mbis download speeds thru my Cisco vpn firewall.
The issue lies with slow firewall and it's be time to say goodbye to it and replace with something more modern. Look for Wan to Lan - 318 goes up to "whooping" 7mbis - which is exactly what you get.
Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput - SmallNetBuilder - you see almost everyone else flared better. No real reason to look for anything over 100mbis throughput ether unless you live in Kansas and have Google fiber :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
here is another secret, before I up'd for boost . I had consistent 20-22mbis downloads... You might had these speed open to you for a while, but missing out due to slow router :(

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like it's dividing the bandwidth and giving an equal amount to each network spot.

Does it have a settings menu anywhere?
OK, I just got into the Netgear settings menu.
I don't know what to look for as far as why its so slow.
I'm not sure if firmware updates are cumulative like BIOS updates? I'm at Version 3_24 they are now at 3_28

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I have OO Boost with pretty consistent 62-64mbis download speeds thru my Cisco vpn firewall.
The issue lies with slow firewall and it's be time to say goodbye to it and replace with something more modern. Look for Wan to Lan - 318 goes up to "whooping" 7mbis - which is exactly what you get.
Router Charts - WAN to LAN Throughput - SmallNetBuilder - you see almost everyone else flared better. No real reason to look for anything over 100mbis throughput ether unless you live in Kansas and have Google fiber :)
I had no idea this router was so slow, and just assumed that if the '100' green LED was on I was OK.:eek:
What router do you recommend?
We have an account at Staples and that's why we have Netgear. Is there a Netgear you'd suggest, or should I look for something else?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had no idea this router was so slow, and just assumed that if the '100' green LED was on I was OK.:eek:
What router do you recommend?
We have an account at Staples and that's why we have Netgear. Is there a Netgear you'd suggest, or should I look for something else?
From Staples selection is was bit hard to find one tested for speed, but I managed to find this one:
D-Link Wireless N300 Home Cloud Router | Staples®

It's tested to deliver:
D-Link DIR-605L Cloud Router Reviewed - Features, Routing Performance - SmallNetBuilder
Routing throughput running the latest 1.11 firmware and our router test process measured 87 MbpsWAN to LAN, 86 Mbps LAN to WAN and 133 Mbps total with up and down tests running simultaneously. This is a bit lower than most other routers that I judge 100 Mbps "wire speed". But, in reality, you would be hard pressed to see a difference.
Maximum simultaneous connections topped out at a relatively low 6,483. But again, this number is more than sufficient for a home/SOHO router.
I think before you get to gig speeds or need much better wireless speeds - this cheaply router will be blazingly faster than your old Netgear

Option b - budget busting:
This router will deliver guaranteed top speeds even for a gig internet if you ever could get:
Asus® RT-AC66U 1750 Mbps Dualband Gigabit Wireless Router | Staples®

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You are Welcome Rick, this Asus Router will run circles around your old firewall , literally :) and make a good cup of coffee too :)
Amazon? Not from staples? :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You are Welcome Rick, this Asus Router will run circles around your old firewall , literally :) and make a good cup of coffee too :)
Amazon? Not from staples? :)
They didn't have it in stock, and Amazon was cheaper.
I've been slowly breaking my wife's Staples habit.:D For her it may be convenient, for me it's priced too high.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They didn't have it in stock, and Amazon was cheaper.
I've been slowly breaking my wife's Staples habit.:D For her it may be convenient, for me it's priced too high.
Staples normally has cheap laptops, but I think my next one will be an ASUS. I like my wife's.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The router & switch were both delivered yesterday.
Installed everything this morning and it all works great.
I haven't done a speed test yet.
I even found three booster antennas for it, just in case.

Thanks again BSA for recommending that router!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The router & switch were both delivered yesterday.
Installed everything this morning and it all works great.
I haven't done a speed test yet.
I even found three booster antennas for it, just in case.

Thanks again BSA for recommending that router!
You are very welcome Rick... Let us know how fast it goes.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You are very welcome Rick... Let us know how fast it goes.
My speed sans router, 'wired' directly from cable modem to PC was:
Download 60.27
Upload 8.14
Through New Router 'wired':
Download 57.86
Upload 7.97

Router has lots of cool features. I'm off to read the manual.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Differences seem to be is in the ballpark of testing error. I doubt there is any real difference. Now try to copy large file from one pc to another :) 100mb to 1gb is pretty big step up
Like I said with my CV boost I get speeds up-to 62mbis, but not from speedtest, but from consistent large file downloads
Try to install DownThemAll - a firefox plugin and download a large (over 500mb) file

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis