Computer headphone setup recomendation

O

_Opus131_

Audiophyte
I need to build a nice headphone setup for music listening through my PC, using mp3s (maximum encoding) and flacs as a source. My budget isn't stratospheric, but i don't feel like skimping out either. This is for listening to music only, so whatever i can save on the recording or media (gaming, movies etc.) side is good. I can do any of those and side but its not a priority. I suppose i would need an audio interface, an amp and of course a pair of good headphones. I mostly listen to classical and Jazz. Not sure if this information makes a difference, but there it is nonetheless.

Anybody willing to start me off with recommendations, links to guides and so forth?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Can you be a little more specific about budget and use? Are you looking for a solution that can go mobile? Are you listening in a noisy environment or a quiet one. Head-fi.org is a good place for info.

I think there are plenty of combined computer dac and headphone amps that you can get the combination and quality will not suffer.

I know a few people who are very impressed with the Benchmark products -

Benchmark - DAC-1 - Demo-Audio Advisor
Grace Design - m903 - Reference Headphone Amplifier / DAC-Audio Advisor

At almost $900 the Dac1 is more than I would care to spend, and the 903 is closer to 2k.
On the lower end of the scale perhaps one of the Nuforce products fits the bill at $70:
NuForce - uDAC2-HP - USB / DAC - Headphone Amp - Demo-Audio Advisor

Headphones will be very dependent on your environment. There have been some threads recently about headphones. You will want in ear earbuds with a good seal or closed back over the ear design for noisy environments. On ear isn't as comfortable as over the ear if you wear glasses. Some people really don't like in ear ear buds.

I purchased a pair of AKG701's from the h/k store on clearance and really like the sound and fit but they are not a closed back design so they're not right for a noisy env. They have some good deals on other AKG headphones too www.harmanaudio.com. They make some good closed and semi closed back headphones.

I've seen the AT ATH-M50's praised here and elsewhere. They are closed back. Amazon has them for <$140 here
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/?tag=dealnewscom

Sennheiser 600/650 are really good sounding too, and pretty comfortable but with prices >$400 really more than I wanted to spend. I think the less expensive 598 is similar sounding and often goes on sale on Amazon I think for ~180 maybe less. Those are all open back. The closed back 280 pro is good for the price ~100.

I have an old pair of Grado sr60s. They sound great for the price. However, they are open back, and on ear and I can't listen to them for more than an hour or two without them becoming uncomfortable. I've read of people switching out the ear cushions on the lower models to make them more comfortable. I've been impressed with the other grado's I've heard, the 225 and 325.

My wife and daughter both have Etymotic earbuds and they like them a lot.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Nuforce uDAC-2 HP is junk
Nuforce uDAC-2 HP disappointing... Using with HFI-780. Imbalance Issue.
NwAvGuy: NuForce uDAC-2 Drama

DAC-1 is actually good DAC, but about 10 times more expensive that it should be...

You need to pick headphones first and then pick right headphone dac/amp for it... FiiO makes some decent models...

To make any good recommendations we need to know your budget

I had Etymotic hf2 headset and after they broke (the cable was replaced twice, but now past warranty) I switched to Shure SE425 - it's night a day, love my shures

O

_Opus131_

Audiophyte
My budget is about 700$. I could raise it to 1000$ but i would have to wait for a few months (not a problem, really). I'm currently using a pair of Westone UM1 earbuds on an ipod classic, so the system would have to be a considerable upgrade to be worth it. I'm mostly planning of using this setup in my room, on a desktop PC, so portability is not an issue.

Last edited:
O

_Opus131_

Audiophyte
I find it funny that my options for a DAC are priced either 900$ and upwards, or below 100$. :D

I was willing to go as high as 1000$ and i might get to spend less then 400$ (assuming i pick the AKG K702). My room is pretty quiet for most of the day so i don't need closed headphones, assuming that has any relevance on price.

Those DACs are amazing. I had no idea such a thing existed. No need for a sound card, and no need for drivers, just plug and go. To think i almost dished out the cash to get a Xonar STX.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
If you are looking for a headphone amp/dac combo, there are a lot of choices between $100 and $900. The big question first is whether you need one. If you get a pair of headphones that are fairly easy to drive, they'll sound fine from the headphone out of your computer (and you end up using the internal dac on the computer). The ATH M50s will work fine like that; so will the ATH AD700s (both are fine headphones). If you still want an amp/dac combo, fiio makes a number of well regarded units that are very reasonably priced. You might want to check out the Fiio E-17: The Upgrade: Fiio E17 “Alpen” | Headfonia.

Edit: if you want to get the AKG 702s, then you will need an amp.

O

_Opus131_

Audiophyte
Well, remember that i'm trying to beat my westone UM1. I'm looking for an upgrade, not just any solution. Plus i only have onboard sound on my PC, which is rather underwhelming. If i have to buy a soundcard i might as well get a DAC at this point.

After some research, it seems that one of the most popular choices for classical music are the Sennheiser HD600 (not as meaty as the HD650, but more balanced). Assuming i purchase a pair of those, what type of hardware would i need to drive them to satisfactory levels?

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Nuforce uDAC-2 HP is junk
Nuforce uDAC-2 HP disappointing... Using with HFI-780. Imbalance Issue.
NwAvGuy: NuForce uDAC-2 Drama

DAC-1 is actually good DAC, but about 10 times more expensive that it should be...

You need to pick headphones first and then pick right headphone dac/amp for it... FiiO makes some decent models...

To make any good recommendations we need to know your budget

I had Etymotic hf2 headset and after they broke (the cable was replaced twice, but now past warranty) I switched to Shure SE425 - it's night a day, love my shures
Thanks for the info. On the Nuforce I had chosen that as an example based on opinions of a couple friends using their integrated amps in desktop systems.

I think the quality of the Benchmark's can't be faulted, but the price can.

So far we haven't had problems with the Etys in the family. I know 2 is a small sample. Hopefully they have improved their quality. I know people have problems with sound cutting out due to the screens clogging.

I had tried an pair of shure earbuds when they first came out, but just couldn't get them to stay sealed and so the sound quality was lacking. I see now they include flanged eartips, I think that might fix the issue I had.

O

_Opus131_

Audiophyte
What can anybody tell me about the Yulong D100 DAC? Will it be enough for the HD600? I heard that the DAC is very neutral sounding. I never liked artificial coloring in my audio, so this should be a good pairing with the already neutral sounding HD600.

S

SandyRavage

Enthusiast
Schiit Audio has some nice options that should fit under your total $1K budget.

Bifrost USB DAC for $450

Asgard SS Amp for $250

If you get the HD600 for ~$300 you'll fit your budget, have a great sounding system and the DAC is upgradeable for futureproofing.

S

SandyRavage

Enthusiast
Thought about this some more and if you want to stay near your $700 budget here is another option.

Lets say you spend $300 on the Sennheiser HD600.

You can get the HRT Streamer II for $150.

The remaining money can go towards the Schiit Asgard or if you can find one, a Headamp Gilmore Lite. This is a discontinued item and more rare to find on the used market but I remember it being very highly regarded 5-6 years ago on the Head-Fi site. Lots of users who paired it with their HD580/600 headphones and raved about it.

I had a chance to hear it with my own HD580s at a gathering and it outperformed its price point back then and I regretted not picking one up when they were still made.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis