Computer goes into sleep mode and won't wake up w/out restart.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It doesn't always do it but I wish it would never do it.

64 bit vista fwiw

It said something once about a power state something ... I don't know. :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Open your Control Panel and look for something like "Power Options"
I'm going to look now on a Vista laptop we have, just to double check if it isn't called something else.
Be right back

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, Power Options.
After you open that look on the left side there are options listed to do what you need to do.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think there's a difference between Sleep and Hibernate

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It doesn't always do it but I wish it would never do it.

64 bit vista fwiw

It said something once about a power state something ... I don't know. :D
Your trouble is Vista. That was one of Microsoft's worst operating system.

In Vista, the power button action is sleep mode and not reboot.

You can chech you power settings from the control panel or by typing: - "powercfg.cpl" in RUN dialog box or Start Menu Search box and press "Enter" key.

I suspect to sort this you will have to go to advanced power settings.

Click change power settings, then click on change advanced power settings. Now you can select the power settings you want.

I would advise going to Windows 7 which is much better than Vista. The best option is Windows 10. I love windows 10. I have migrated my HTPC from Windows 7 to 10. No need for Flash any more. Windows 10 will natively decode just about anything, including Dolby Digital Plus, which my pre/pro does not have the codec for.

I like it so much I'm about to order and new laptop, with Windows 10. This laptop is 6 yours old and getting long in the tooth.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Power Options thing got me going somewhere ... we'll see. This is my only glitch (I think) and you can bet your bottom dollar I'm hanging onto this computer for as long as possible. They had to bury XP before I gave up using it. It sounded like a tractor too.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got something called Powered4Gear eXtreme which gives me the hibernate NEVER option as well as different settings for plugged in and battery operation. I wish I knew about this about 6 years ago.

I get to choose what the power button does in the start menu. The drop down menu offers me a shutdown or restart options. That's all good. One thing that was nice is setting what happens when I close the lid. In plugged in mode it does nothing so that I can just use a remote mouse and screen but in battery mode it goes to sleep.

I hope that's the end of that. Thanks guys.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
EDIT: Looks like we posted at the same time. Glad it worked out.

When you go to shutdown and hit the bottom left Start button, there's a pull up menu.
Do you think you accidentally hit one of the other options? Sleep, Hibernate or even Lock?

My everyday PC is still running XP, it's a Dell XPS still pretty good for surfing the net and email, fast and trouble free with an SSD.
Has to be eleven or more years old. :D
In all those years, what I first thought was a virus (1st one) was the original drive going bad.
I use something else for work and gaming.
Probably going to retire it this year though:) once I migrate everthing

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It was set to hibernate every 5 hours or some such nonsense.

Yeah, Uncensored Twister has a way of wrecking hard drives. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Died laughing. In Vista's defense, it wasn't Vista's fault. I wouldn't be any better on a better computer.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Glad that you got it sorted out!

I still use Vista on my PC at home. I never had any dislike for it and honestly can't understand why so many people bash it. It works fine. I've also used Windows 7 at home, but it didn't seem much different to me. I have a Windows 10 laptop coming soon...I'm eager to see what that's like.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis