computer as radio in car?

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
hello all, i have been wanting to add a computer to my car as a radio. Now hear me out, you are saying a car radio is enough. Well, i been around computers most of my life and always heard music thru the computer. I never liked the onboard sound on the motherboard have and always bought myself a sound card to replace factory onboard sound. I would listen to music on my pc, but when i was in my car and listened to that same song i notice my computer sound is much more clear. So, i wanted to build a mini itx case with sound blaster sound audio card. I thought about all the work but one thing that stumps me is the sound card connections. most creative sound blaster cards come with toslink or coaxial and headphone jacks. I want to have the same connections as i have on my pc which is toslink. But to do that i need a speaker system that has toslink or coaxial. i am currently using logitech z906 which by the way the best pc surround sound speakers you can get. satellites clean crisp and sub powerful for being a 8 inch. I can use the same speakers in my car but sub will not be that loud in my car. So my question is, how do i use a computer as my radio using toslink or coaxial. The monitor will be easy to install, all i need to buy is a touch screen 7-inch monitor. i really really want to do this but i don't know where to start for the connections. if i must ill go 3.5mm connections, but from their where do i go with 3.5mm. i checked on google couldnt find any thing with this kind of thing. the more i think about it, the more i think its not possible.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
i really really want to do this but i don't know where to start for the connections... the more i think about it, the more i think its not possible.
Anything's possible given enough beer. If it were me, I'd just use a 3.5mm -> RCA Y cable and let the Sound Blaster sound card act as the DAC. If you insist on using the TOSlink interface, though, you'll need a toslink -> RCA DAC (example). Either way, you'll plug RCA into a 4-channel amp for your auto speakers (or more channels or amps if you have a sub / subs). Another gadget you might consider is a calibrated measurement mic to help you equalize the sound. Since your source is a PC, you can use a software EQ like Equalizer APO (if your mobile PC is running Windows). And depending on how many times you have to split the stereo signal into amps, you might also need a line driver to boost the preamp voltage.

Course if you want to avoid an epic "there, I fixed it!" sort of kludge, you ought to consider an in-dash PC -- something like these.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
First, you need to be aware that if you are using Toslink or digi coax, then you are bypassing the DAC in your soundcard, and therefore you are not getting any benefits from using a fancy sound card at all. You could get the same quality audio by taking a Toslink or digi coax straight off the integrated mobo audio in the digi domain and passing that to your external DAC. The way you describe your setup, it seems that you are using the DAC in your Logitech speakers.

Next item, you don't want to use computer speakers in your car. You want to use car speakers in your car. Use the computer as the source component, then send that to a head unit and use the head unit to distribute the audio and control the volume and the subwoofer-- and for the subwoofer you again need a sub designed for cars and you will want a dedicated sub amp for the best performance.

But, you left out some very critical details here! What is the make, model, and year model for your car? Depending on that info, the install could be fairly simple or could be nearly impossible, or at least so much work that it just isn't worth it.

Finally, you are going to have to figure out exactly how you are going to power up your computer in your car. Your car is going to be a 12V system. A computer needs several different voltages to operate. I can't remember them all off the top of my head, would need to look into that. In the home computer, the PS plugs into the wall and provides several different output voltages for different circuits. You are going to have to figure out exactly how you are going to generate those different voltages in the car 12V system. That will not be trivial!

So, what you propose is absolutely possible, but this will not be an easy task by any means. Also, understand that there is some risk involved here, and if this is your first project of this type then the risk is even greater.

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
Anything's possible given enough beer. If it were me, I'd just use a 3.5mm -> RCA Y cable and let the Sound Blaster sound card act as the DAC. If you insist on using the TOSlink interface, though, you'll need a toslink -> RCA DAC (example). Either way, you'll plug RCA into a 4-channel amp for your auto speakers (or more channels or amps if you have a sub / subs). Another gadget you might consider is a calibrated measurement mic to help you equalize the sound. Since your source is a PC, you can use a software EQ like Equalizer APO (if your mobile PC is running Windows). And depending on how many times you have to split the stereo signal into amps, you might also need a line driver to boost the preamp voltage.

Course if you want to avoid an epic "there, I fixed it!" sort of kludge, you ought to consider an in-dash PC -- something like these.
sweeeeeet thanks for the info. i looked at the car pc, not bad for $700. the only thing is i dont see what kind of sound card it has.

Last edited:
F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
First, you need to be aware that if you are using Toslink or digi coax, then you are bypassing the DAC in your soundcard, and therefore you are not getting any benefits from using a fancy sound card at all. You could get the same quality audio by taking a Toslink or digi coax straight off the integrated mobo audio in the digi domain and passing that to your external DAC. The way you describe your setup, it seems that you are using the DAC in your Logitech speakers.

Next item, you don't want to use computer speakers in your car. You want to use car speakers in your car. Use the computer as the source component, then send that to a head unit and use the head unit to distribute the audio and control the volume and the subwoofer-- and for the subwoofer you again need a sub designed for cars and you will want a dedicated sub amp for the best performance.

But, you left out some very critical details here! What is the make, model, and year model for your car? Depending on that info, the install could be fairly simple or could be nearly impossible, or at least so much work that it just isn't worth it.

Finally, you are going to have to figure out exactly how you are going to power up your computer in your car. Your car is going to be a 12V system. A computer needs several different voltages to operate. I can't remember them all off the top of my head, would need to look into that. In the home computer, the PS plugs into the wall and provides several different output voltages for different circuits. You are going to have to figure out exactly how you are going to generate those different voltages in the car 12V system. That will not be trivial!

So, what you propose is absolutely possible, but this will not be an easy task by any means. Also, understand that there is some risk involved here, and if this is your first project of this type then the risk is even greater.
oops i have a 05 scion bb, i have creative sound blaster x-fi titanium pro hd sound card. so the toslink comes from the sound card into the logitech speakers. then i change the options from the sound card to Dolby digital live. even tho im not always listening to 5.1 sound i have it enabled to decode my games and movies auto. so, i should let the sound card use its dac? my logitech surround sound only has these connections

Digital optical input: 2

Digital coaxial input: 1

Six-channel direct input: 1

3.5mm input: 1

RCA input: 1

Even if i used the 3.5 mm connections on myt logitech i wouldn't be able to connect them to my sound card because it only has coaxial toslink rca, mic and headphones 3.5mm.

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
what do you guys think about this idea. this would be the easier way, fastest, and safest.

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-g5

I could get a tablet, connect them to the sound blaster. look at the connector in the picture shows one for keyboard mouse and the other one you connect to a console or another device.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
don't get stuck on audio interface, I think you could get away with much cheaper usb dac.
Car speakers aren't that hi-hi anyhow.

F

fpresiado

Enthusiast
don't get stuck on the audio interface, I think you could get away with much cheaper usb dac.
Car speakers aren't that hi-hi anyhow.
what would u recommend for a dac? i only go with creative products because i been using them since late early 2000's never been disappointed. also, what do you mean car speakers aren't that hi-hi. Are you talking about quality right?

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
what do you mean car speakers aren't that hi-hi. Are you talking about quality right?
I believe he meant hi-fi. Car audio speakers aren't typically known for their sound quality. Not that better speakers can't be had.
Have you checked with a custom audio installer?
There are a plethora of posts on this forum that quite clearly state, speakers make the sound. The electronics for the most part, and this is a gross generality, just transfer voltages. The factory speakers in a Scion are probably not exactly high end. Even "better" factory speakers aren't much to write home about.
You expressed the desire for better sound quality, you stated.

"I would listen to music on my pc, but when i was in my car and listened to that same song i notice my computer sound is much more clear."

One of the reasons for this is ambient noise. Car cabins are not a very good acoustic space. You have road, wind and drivetrain noise. Reflections off of glass and interior panels, indirect sound and other things muttering up your sound. If you want better sound, you have to treat the interior just as you would a room, with acoustic treatments. Most custom car audio shops can help you out with that.
Acoustic treatments and better speakers will go much farther for better sound than the route you are contemplating.
If you still want tech gadgetry in your whip at that point, go for it.

Best of luck to you, hope it works out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used to dump a lot of money into car audio. JohnnieB is right. Focusing on the electronics won't produce better sound, but getting some good speakers can make a huge difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis