Component video wires (red, blue & green) vs. Composite wire (yellow)

C

cadd

Audioholic Intern
Some of you may know that I am in the process of putting together my first HT system. I've been told numerous times by AVS members that component video wires are FAR superior than the yellow composite wire.

So, I purchased a handful of component video wires from Monoprice.com.

After getting the wires, I hooked up the DVD directly to the TV via component wires. What happens? I get WORSE quality picture!

I see a band of rainbow like colors going across the screen! I thought maybe it was a bad wire, so I tested another set of wires, and same thing!

When I plug in the single yellow composite wire, everything is good! What's going on?

TV is a Sony Wega that's 5 years old
DVD is a Panasonic that's 5 years old
Receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR635 (but the video wires go directly from DVD to TV).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like something is seup wrong or something is wrong with your player. Need model numbers. If the TV is not HD ready and the player is set to progressive via component output, you will not get a picture, you will get a mess (sounds like what you are describing). Progressive cannot be sent via s-video or composite so your TV displays them correctly. Check your player to see if you can turn off progressive scan in the setup menus or via an actual switch on the player, often on the back, and try component again. It should definitely look better than composite. Even S-video should look better than composite.

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
It does sound like a set up issue. You may have to use the DVD player's set up menu to tell it to use component and I have seen switches on the back of some older units that need to be switched for component out.

It should definately look better.

C

cadd

Audioholic Intern
DVD: Panasonic DVD-RP62
TV: Sony KV-32FV26

I went to setup for the DVD player and made sure that Progressive out is DISABLED.

Still a mess.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Though a bit older, the RP62 is a good player, so I'm not sure what else might be wrong. I used to have that TV and I know it will not handle progressive scan, but you say you've disabled that. I used 2 Panasonics and a Sony with that TV and it always looked great via component with the 16:9 squeeze on, even though it was an interlaced signal. Can you also check to see if there is a setting in the player's menu that tells it to output via component like JKL1960 said?

C

cadd

Audioholic Intern
Nope, I just downloaded the RP62's owner's manual and there's nothing that says I can tell the DVD player to output via component.

This is the first time for me to use component wires. Both the TV & DVD player is old. I had to wipe off the dust on the terminals. But even after I did that, same results.

I purchased 6 component wires and I tested 3 of them. Same results....so it's not the wires.

I just called Panasonic and the lady that helped me asked me to shut off progressive scan. Then turn it back on, and nothing changed. She then gave me directions to reset the DVD player. Still the same.....sigh.

Maybe it's my TV! Maybe it's time to call Sony to see if they can give me a few pointers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis