G

grateful1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>After months of endless research, countless hours of reading discussion forums, and eye straining nights of staring at my TV I have concluded that the debate over component cables simply will not end.  A few months ago I entered this site to educate myself on component cables prior to purchasing them.  At the same time I purchases a HD DirecTv box which necessitated another component cable.  After much deliberation I had concluded that Monsters were too pricey and I quickly found that Belden 7710A cables with Canare plugs would suit my needs.  However to my dismay, I hate to say that my $120 pair of Monsters that I bought 2 years ago look much better than my new Beldens.  The picture on the Beldens looks grainy on my 55' Mitsubishi wide.

Has anyone else run into this?  I have heard great things about Beldens.  However, I don't see why I would give up picture quality for cheaper priced cables.</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Can't say anything about the Belden's but try Cobalt Cable. &nbsp;I've had great experience with their audio line and they have a great return policy.

Also, I've read some great things about signalcable.com. &nbsp;Just ordered a pair of audio interconnects.</font>

B

Biggus Dickus

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Acoustic Research Performance series (eBay = cheap). Best bang for the buck, in my opinion.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
grateful1 : <font color='#000000'>After months of endless research, countless hours of reading discussion forums, and eye straining nights of staring at my TV I have concluded that the debate over component cables simply will not end.  A few months ago I entered this site to educate myself on component cables prior to purchasing them.  At the same time I purchases a HD DirecTv box which necessitated another component cable.  After much deliberation I had concluded that Monsters were too pricey and I quickly found that Belden 7710A cables with Canare plugs would suit my needs.  However to my dismay, I hate to say that my $120 pair of Monsters that I bought 2 years ago look much better than my new Beldens.  The picture on the Beldens looks grainy on my 55' Mitsubishi wide.

Has anyone else run into this?  I have heard great things about Beldens.  However, I don't see why I would give up picture quality for cheaper priced cables.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Did you make the cables yourself? &nbsp;Were the right Canare connectors used? Were the Canare crimping tools used?

If you bought them from a dealer, have them swap it for another pair. &nbsp;You should not have noticed any difference between the Monster Cables and the Beldens.

I've compared 7710a to Canare V3-5CFB to Straightwire Silver-Link II ($140 for 1M). &nbsp;There was no difference in picture quality. &nbsp;All of the test patterns looked equal as well.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
nm2285 : Can't say anything about the Belden's but try Cobalt Cable.  I've had great experience with their audio line and they have a great return policy.

Also, I've read some great things about signalcable.com.  Just ordered a pair of audio interconnects.
Cobalt Cable offers good cable and doesn't use Snake Oil.  However, a lot of what they offer is based on Canare and Belden stock (their component video cable is made from Canare V3-5CFB).  I have a problem with these online companies that take cables made by Canare (or Belden) and then mark them up 300%.  They're just as bad as the big companies.

For example....Cobalt's component video cable sells for $86.35.  It would cost you about $25 in materials to make the same exact cable.</font>

G

grateful1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ed27, I bought the cables from bluejeans. &nbsp;What I did notice is that the Canare plugs did not fit as tightly as the Monster's. &nbsp;I think I will take your adivce and swap them in for a new pair. &nbsp;By the way, you are the one that originally turned me on to Belden and Canare. &nbsp;I will let you know how it goes.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>ED27,

In general, I tend to agree with you about companies that just do mark-up. &nbsp;However, all things considered, I don't believe Cobalt is simply doing a mark-up. &nbsp;While I do recognize people can purchase the individual parts on their own from companies like Belden, and then solder or crimp them together to make a similar cable, I'm not sure most home theater enthusiasts would be willing or capable of doing this on their own. &nbsp;For example, my soldering skills are extremely poor as even Gene could tell you. &nbsp;When I'm done, there is more melted wire on my leg and on the floor than on the solder joint. &nbsp;I do very well with ground wires, bucause I can make a nice sized wod that will definately ground. &nbsp;But get me near that stranded wire and the inside conductor path, and we're going no where. &nbsp;All I'm capable of was making mush. &nbsp;You know I've been soldering when you see the floor around me has bright pieces everywhere, there are wholes in my pants, and I'm cursing. &nbsp;Even other folks I know who are Electrical Engineers don't do a much better job of soldering. &nbsp;Besides, keep in mind that not everyone is interested in making their own cables for a DIY. &nbsp;They'd rather just buy them and hook them up.

If you notice our article on Component Video Cables, one of the very first things we disussed and examined was the solder joint. &nbsp;There were very good examples of solder joints as found in the Tributaries Cables, and extremely poor examples that more closely matched what I would do on my own after a few beers. &nbsp;

I just want to present to you that perhaps Cobalt and others who buy cables and put them together and package them, &quot;mark up&quot; the parts. &nbsp;But from what I've learned, most manufacturers, if they admit it or not, do the very same thing. &nbsp;Most of the cable companies purchase cable of varying quality and types in bulk and they are not manufactured by the end packager. &nbsp;Most cable companies take these cables, and either solder or crimp connectors on them. &nbsp;The question is, “how much does it cost for them to order the cable, pay for having the cable shipped from overseas, handle and process the cable, order the connectors, solder/crimp the connectors, quality inspect the final product with tests of the solder joint, package the end product, market the end product, sell the end product to either distributors, custom installers, or end users, entertain tons of questions about how to connect things all at the same time they have to run a business? &nbsp;If it takes 300% (although I think that seems a bit high) to do this effectively and efficiently and turn a profit to stay in business, so be it, as long as it’s legit and they’re not promoting snake-oil. &nbsp;Another thing I can attest to is that many of the companies only have a few staff members and assemblers and work very hard day and night to get this together, and support their products in the field. &nbsp;Many of them work with custom installers who forgot to order cables and needs them built to a custom length and shipped over night. &nbsp;Many of them face issues where the installer needs technical help on installing the cables (go figure) and all this takes away from the time that they need to get product out the door. &nbsp;I’ve seen it first hand at a tremendous company right up the road from me who I will be interviewing and writing about soon. &nbsp;I’ve also seen it with our cables sponsors. &nbsp;I send them emails late at night and get shocked all the time that they are replying. &nbsp;I don’t think the legitimate manufacturers are all as wealthy as you may believe. &nbsp;

If you’re a DIY person, more power to you. &nbsp;In fact, we have a whole section on it. &nbsp;I’m giving you my honest perspective and with that, its as though I have cerebral palsy when I try to solder. &nbsp;Perhaps I should do it before coffee. &nbsp;Either way, I’m not a solderer. &nbsp;I’ll pay the extra few dollars and buy it bagged and tagged and ready to go as I’m sure most others will.

Component Video Cables</font>

G

grateful1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Steve, thanks for your insight. &nbsp;What other companies would you recommend that do solder their ends on component cables that are reasonably priced? &nbsp;Is Cobalt one of them?</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>While I haven't seen every cable out there, I can name a few that in our experience, have great quality control and solder joints. &nbsp;Keeping in mind that solder joints aren't the only important aspect. &nbsp;The companies that come to mind are as follows. &nbsp;Note, this doesn't mean there are no others, I'm just listing the ones most familiar to our experience.

1) &nbsp;Tributaries
2) &nbsp;AV Cable
3) &nbsp;Cobalt Cable
4) &nbsp;River Cable
5) &nbsp;DH Labs
6) &nbsp;Acoustic Research Master Series (if you can still find them)

Some of these companies advertise here with banners. &nbsp;Others are listed in our Mail Order section. &nbsp;The rest, you can easily find by doing a google search. &nbsp;We are on a constant quest to find well built cables and will continue to inform you via articles or our newsletter. &nbsp;Make sure you register to become a member.</font>

G

grateful1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Steve, in further researching Cobalt Cable's Ultimate Component Cable, I have found that it is made out of Canare V3-5CFB cables with Canare connectors. &nbsp;The connectors are crimped, not soddered. &nbsp;The same exact cable from Bluejeans costs $50 with shipping. &nbsp;Cobalt is selling this cable for $100 with shipping. &nbsp;The only difference between these two cables is that the Bluejeans insullation jacket still says Canare while Cobalt has decided to put their own name on it. &nbsp;

AV Cables also uses Canare crimp connectors on their component cables.

Tributaries do indeed solder their connectors, however they are $350 for a 1 foot cable.

Out of the below suggestions, do any of these companies acutally sodder their ends onto their component cables AND are sold at a reasonable price? &nbsp;I think ED27 has a point in stating that there are reputable companies out there that do indeed raise their prices when in fact they are using the exact same materials(Belden &amp; Canare) in making their cables.

Does anyone really lean more towards crimp connectors rather than soddered ones? &nbsp;Am I really just paying $100+ more for connectors that are soddered instead of crimped.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>AR &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grateful1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Zumbo. &nbsp;Where does one go to buy AR cables? &nbsp;What are they made out of?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have all AR in my system except for the subwoofer cable. (By Monster)They are well made using a standard RG6 shielded coax and grip the RCA terminals solidly.

I did a test utilizing both Monster and AR: The result is that there was no difference in picture or sound quality whatsoever.

With AR at less than half the price, why bother with Monster?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis