Compliment to a sealed sub?

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
I currently have an Epik Empire, and I'm thinking about getting a second one, but from lurking around the site, I think I might actually want to get a different sub to compliment the Empire. The Empire does indeed have great midbass and extension, but it doesn't really dig down enough to where I'd like, so I'm just wondering what Sub out there would be a good compliment to the Empire and also be able to dig down low to get to the area's where the Empire can't.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
If you're looking to dig deeper and compliment an Empire, you probably need to go big or go home.

Is going DIY/multiple sealed an option at all? That's really the only way you can get lots of output in those real low octaves.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is going DIY/multiple sealed an option at all? That's really the only way you can get lots of output in those real low octaves.
Apparently you've never heard of SVS, Danley, Seaton, or JTR. There are numerous commercial products capable of low output.

OP, It is generally better to add like subs than to mismatch subs. Dual or quad empires should do the job. DIY is only for folks interested in woodworking. I don't suggest it for the average person.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I currently have an Epik Empire, and I'm thinking about getting a second one, but from lurking around the site, I think I might actually want to get a different sub to compliment the Empire. The Empire does indeed have great midbass and extension, but it doesn't really dig down enough to where I'd like, so I'm just wondering what Sub out there would be a good compliment to the Empire and also be able to dig down low to get to the area's where the Empire can't.
I would add a rythmik FV15HP. Use that as your main subwoofer and roll in the epik to clean up frequency response.

D

DrFunk

Audioholic Intern
I also forgot, just in case it changes opinions, that I'm going to be using this for 100% HT use.

@templemanners
Yes, I have been contemplating getting a SubHP, but it's just to much money right now. I know full well that even just one of those would be satisfactory and blow the Empire away, but I just don't have the cash yet. Something around $1200 or maybe, MAYBE, $1500 shipped would be more in line.

@lsiberian
You sure? I thought that from reading on the site, multiple subs wouldn't necessarily extend the low end but would rather help the overall SQ and balance? Would having duals be able to extend to 20hz and below?

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Apparently you've never heard of SVS, Danley, Seaton, or JTR. There are numerous commercial products capable of low output.
I'm well aware of them, thanks. I even put one in my inital response. :rolleyes:

OP, It is generally better to add like subs than to mismatch subs. Dual or quad empires should do the job.
How exactly are dual or quad Empires going to increase his ability to dig deeper when they appear to have a 30 db roll off around 20 Hz?

DIY is only for folks interested in woodworking. I don't suggest it for the average person.
Agreed.

I still maintain that multiple sealed, whether they are are DIY or commercial (provided the product doesn't have extension killing design choices) is the best way to get deep extension.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis