Comparison Denon AVR-X3100W vs. Onkyo TX-NR838 vs. Yamaha RX-A1040BL

M

mikeb66

Audiophyte
So I am a big fan of this website, and was looking for reviews for the 3 models mentioned above. What I'm really trying to determine is which one to get of these 3. So far I can see that the Denon does not have an Phono input which is a bummer because I would like to use my turntable. It is nothing special, but I would like to play the old things called albums. LOL! Also, I notice the Denon is 10 lbs lighter than the Yamaha and Onkyo. Again, these are little things. Hoping someone out there can give me some more valuable input to encourage/discourage me from one of these receivers. Thanks!!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This thread will go down the path of room EQs and which receiver has the best although its never been demonstrated thru independent 3rdparty testing as to which room EQ is the best. I like Yamaha and always have ever since I heard one 30 + years ago driving a pair of Mirage SM3s and an Oracle Delphi turntable. Best system I've heard .

M

mikeb66

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for a reply! I can't believe someone already said something, very encouraging. So, I hear ya, about the tangent of room EQ's, which will likely NOT help me. You got me thinking about another thing I forgot to inquire. Repairs.... I had a Denon previously, and the pwr amp supply thing broke. They don't have a replacement, so I am forced to upgrage. I am curious if there is any knowledge about replacing parts in the future. It is myunderstanding that Denon tends to change parts as they upgrade, thus forcing you to upgrade if/when you have problems over time. Is this something to expect from Yamaha/Onkyo? Again, I would really like to go Denon again, but there is no way to play turntable, without gettting a preamp, or something. Any idea if I can get one of those for cheap?
Thank you again for a quick reply!!!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you so much for a reply! I can't believe someone already said something, very encouraging. So, I hear ya, about the tangent of room EQ's, which will likely NOT help me. You got me thinking about another thing I forgot to inquire. Repairs.... I had a Denon previously, and the pwr amp supply thing broke. They don't have a replacement, so I am forced to upgrage. I am curious if there is any knowledge about replacing parts in the future. It is myunderstanding that Denon tends to change parts as they upgrade, thus forcing you to upgrade if/when you have problems over time. Is this something to expect from Yamaha/Onkyo? Again, I would really like to go Denon again, but there is no way to play turntable, without gettting a preamp, or something. Any idea if I can get one of those for cheap?
Thank you again for a quick reply!!!!
Yes you can get a photo preamp for "cheap", relatively speaking. The higher end Yamaha and Denon shouldn't have problem working with most moving magnet cartridges.

D

Danny Thompson

Audiophyte
Hi Mike66, I have used both Yamaha and Denon and found them both to be of high quality. I currently have an RX-A1040. I think it has an advantage over the Denon with the user control over the DSP. As far as quality goes I have had several Yamaha products last for years and never fail. I have had some problems with Denon CD players in the past, but not with receivers. I choose the Yamaha over the Denon counterparts based on the sound quality of 2 and multi-channel. The Yamaha also seems to have a better power supply. If your looking for a LONG term receiver I would recommend the Yamaha RX-A3040. It supports Dolby ATMOS and has the ESS 9016 DAC, a "New and Improved" YPAO room correction . As well as all channel preamp outs, but it cost more. Have a look at the Yamaha site for the details on all the DSP options built into these units. Its impressive. As you can tell I am siding with the Yamaha devices:) I love the 1040. I am only using 3 of the 7 internal amps now(rear channel, surround front presence), but was using all of them at first. If your going to run all channels on the receiver be careful on impedance of your speaker choice. Many receivers cant drive <8 Ohms well. Look closely at the specs, most state power ratings driving 2 channels into 8 Ohms. The A1040 states 110w into 2 channels at 8 Ohms. The bottom line on what a receiver can drive lies within the power supply. I have chosen to use external amps for the front L/R/C and the internal for rear, surround and front presence.

Happy Hunting!!
Just remember if it sound good to you that's all that matters:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis