Comparison between DENON AVR-X7200WA and Yamaha CX-A5100

Spock7of9

Spock7of9

Enthusiast
I've been trying to compare to a Yamaha CX A5100 to DENON AVR-X7200WA I do have a 3 ch B&K amp and a Adcom 2 ch amp (both at 200W/ch). Both Yamaha and Denon are about the same price for me. I want to run an Atmos setup. (5.2.4 or 7.2.4) so If I purchased the Yamaha I would need an additional amp. If I went with Denon I would not need the extra amp. My Question is how do these two units compare as far as A/V Processors and would I be able to allocate the onboard amps on the Denon AVR-X7200WA for the back and ceiling channels and let my b&K amp work the fronts.

Any help would be appreciated .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...Yamaha CX A5100 to DENON AVR-X7200WA...how do these two units compare as far as A/V Processors...
In Direct or Bypass modes, you can't tell the difference in sound quality.

You will hear the difference once you use the EQ like Audyssey or Audyssey Dynamic EQ vs the Yamaha's equivalent.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
In Direct or Bypass modes, you can't tell the difference in sound quality.

You will hear the difference once you use the EQ like Audyssey or Audyssey Dynamic EQ vs the Yamaha's equivalent.
Just what I was gonna say.
Mcacc, ypao, and audyssey treat the rooms all a little differently. Some guys like one or the other but they all do pretty good. Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ is probably the most comprehensive. As ADTG said, when the processing is off you shouldn't be able to tell. Personally I dislike yamahas menus and all the sound modes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can still connect your amps to the 7200, it'll do fine as a pre-amp, but you may not need to either. The 7200 has more options inherent for the price, even if you just use the built in amps for surrounds....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately the X7200 doesn't have the nice Audyssey Editor App like the X6300, X4300, X3300, X2300.

So I would wait for the X7300 to be released or just get the X6300. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately the X7200 doesn't have the nice Audyssey Editor App like the X6300, X4300, X3300, X2300.

So I would wait for the X7300 to be released or just get the X6300. :D
Good point, was thinking I saw something about a firmware fix but now that I think about it think it was a complaint there wasn't a firmware fix for the 7200.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been trying to compare to a Yamaha CX A5100 to DENON AVR-X7200WA I do have a 3 ch B&K amp and a Adcom 2 ch amp (both at 200W/ch). Both Yamaha and Denon are about the same price for me. I want to run an Atmos setup. (5.2.4 or 7.2.4) so If I purchased the Yamaha I would need an additional amp. If I went with Denon I would not need the extra amp. My Question is how do these two units compare as far as A/V Processors and would I be able to allocate the onboard amps on the Denon AVR-X7200WA for the back and ceiling channels and let my b&K amp work the fronts.

Any help would be appreciated .
Yes you can use the amps in the Denon to power the surround channels. I think the processors are comparable but the Denon has Audyssey XT32/SubEQHT. I also responded here:

Post#40

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/need-some-guidance-please.107563/page-2

Spock7of9

Spock7of9

Enthusiast
Thanks, Good Info.
I was talking to a sales person and he felt that the DACs in the Yamaha are superior to the Denon. His explanation was the CX A5100 had similar DACs to the last years Oppo unit. Also He heard that the Yamaha can now with YPAO, EQ to 20Hz with a firmware change. I have verified the Oppo and A5100 do have similar DACs, But unable to confirm YPAO EQ to 20Hz. Has anyone heard of this?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, Good Info.
I was talking to a sales person and he felt that the DACs in the Yamaha are superior to the Denon. His explanation was the CX A5100 had similar DACs to the last years Oppo unit. Also He heard that the Yamaha can now with YPAO, EQ to 20Hz with a firmware change. I have verified the Oppo and A5100 do have similar DACs, But unable to confirm YPAO EQ to 20Hz. Has anyone heard of this?
Yes, we have, right from Audioholics. For YPAO, it is down to 31 Hz, not 20 Hz, manual PEQ is now down to 15.6 Hz.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-60-preview

That sales person may be just expressing his opinion because the fact is, the Yamaha has the ES9016S DAC, that is not the same as the one in the Oppo 105 or the newer 205. In terms of specs, the ES9016 is comparable to the AK4490 in the Denon AVR-X7200WA. The AK4490 has a little lower THD.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141215AK4490DENON_001/

Spock7of9

Spock7of9

Enthusiast
Yes, we have, right from Audioholics. For YPAO, it is down to 31 Hz, not 20 Hz, manual PEQ is now down to 15.6 Hz.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-60-preview

That sales person may be just expressing his opinion because the fact is, the Yamaha has the ES9016S DAC, that is not the same as the one in the Oppo 105 or the newer 205. In terms of specs, the ES9016 is comparable to the AK4490 in the Denon AVR-X7200WA. The AK4490 has a little lower THD.

http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20141215AK4490DENON_001/
Thanks for the info.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was talking to a sales person and he felt that the DACs in the Yamaha are superior to the Denon.
You truly won't hear ANY difference among all these great DAC. I mean look at the specs in terms of SNR, Crosstalk, THD, Dynamic Range, etc. They are all spectacular. So you won't hear a DIFFERENCE, unless something else is making the sound different - mostly likely some kind of EQ or DSP in the background.

Otherwise, you won't hear the difference between a DAC with a 130dB SNR and 0.000000001% THD vs a DAC with a 120dB SNR and 0.001% THD.

So don't even worry about the DACs of today.

Spock7of9

Spock7of9

Enthusiast
You truly won't hear ANY difference among all these great DAC. I mean look at the specs in terms of SNR, Crosstalk, THD, Dynamic Range, etc. They are all spectacular. So you won't hear a DIFFERENCE, unless something else is making the sound different - mostly likely some kind of EQ or DSP in the background.

Otherwise, you won't hear the difference between a DAC with a 130dB SNR and 0.000000001% THD vs a DAC with a 120dB SNR and 0.001% THD.

So don't even worry about the DACs of today.

Thanks for the info. I'm most likely going to purchase the Denon. The preamp sections are comparable between the two plus I save on not having to buy another amp. Now I'm just trying to find the best price for the DENON AVR-X7200WA.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the info. I'm most likely going to purchase the Denon. The preamp sections are comparable between the two plus I save on not having to buy another amp. Now I'm just trying to find the best price for the DENON AVR-X7200WA.
The replacement for the X7200WA is imminent so you can wait a few more months the price of the 7200 may drop like a ton of rock.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The replacement for the X7200WA is imminent so you can wait a few more months the price of the 7200 may drop like a ton of rock.
The dilemma will be that the X7300 will have the new Audyssey Editor App, but the X7200 does not. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My experiences with the app so far have been less than stellar...
Uh oh, so overhyped?

I am perfectly content with my system. So I wasn't interested in paying for it. Oh well. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis