noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
I'm wanting to get myself a nice set of speakers, but am not sure if I should go with a set of bookshelvers, or floor standing. Are there really any benefits to either (aside from size)?

I am thinking about a set os JBL es80 or 90's, they're a bit more spendy than I'd like, but I noticed bookshelf speakers are much cheaper.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW, my room is 13.5' x 19' x 7' 4", main L-C-R speakers are at the end along a 13-1/2' wall. The room is open along the left rear side for about 1/2 the 19' length.

I chose smaller floorstanding speakers. It's worked out very well because over 90% of my use is 2 channel music. There are times I play it in NAD's "analog bypass" mode that shuts down feed to the sub and sends full range signal to the floor standing speakers, The bass those produce is, for a lot of music, just enough so it sounds good and doesn't disturb my tenant in the downstairs apartment.

Most floor standing speakers still benefit from the use of a subwoofer. Mine does. There are stand mount/bookshelf speakers that could easily best my floorstanding speakers, but I like the looks of these as much as the sound.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, The speakers I have in mind are: BIC AMERICA Venturi DV64, Polk Audio TSi200, and the Klipsch R-15M.

For the time being, I plan on putting the speakers on, or next to, my desk. This is why the book shelf speakers seem more attractive, but in the future they will be a part of the home theater.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You can do MUCH better on sound quality than those for similar money. Don't take my word for it, do some reading around here. Search the forum for Philharmonic AA, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, SVS Prime Bookshelf, and several more. Any of those would embarrass the ones you've listed, and do it for about the same money.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would take a good look at Philharmonic AA monitors.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
I started looking at the Philharmonic AA's and the Elac Debut B5 and B6's. All look like good speakers.

Can anyone chime in on the difference between the B5 and B6? The specs are very similar, the only major difference I see is the $50 price difference.

The philharmonics seem to be a good bet, I'm comparing the them now, might take me years though.

I am thinking that any of these bookshlf speakers could serve as my fronts and that they can be moved to the rear when I get a set of towers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The B6 has a 6-1/2" woofer, the B5 a smaller 5-1/4" woofer. For the money I'd probably opt for the bigger one. With a subwoofer it might not matter though for me there are times when I have to keep the sub off in deference to my wife.

If you think you might move them to rear surround duty in the future, the B6 is a better choice.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
I do have a sub that will be in the mix.

Does a bigger speaker produce lower frequencies better that a smaller speaker? As in, two speakers that both have a response range of 50-100hz, but one is 5.25" and the other is 6.5"

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure where you get those numbers but looking at the Elac website the B5 is 46hz to 20khz and the B6 is 44hz to 20khz. The B6 weighs almost 3 pounds more too. That should mean bigger magnet, bigger cabinet.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
Not sure where you get those numbers but looking at the Elac website the B5 is 46hz to 20khz and the B6 is 44hz to 20khz. The B6 weighs almost 3 pounds more too. That should mean bigger magnet, bigger cabinet.
Those numbers are fictional, I was just using them as an example. I think I've got it narrowed down to the B5 and the Philharmonic. The B5 is winning my heart just because of the fact I can have it in two days from Amazon.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Noflers,

OMG, never buy speakers based on delivery cycle. You will live with your choice for years!

However, in you case the B5s are well rated and the reviews I've seen are all positive. I'd start with the B5s and like mentioned above, when you move up to surrounds, you can re-evaluate if you want to go with B6s for the fronts, or even the F5s. I see no need to use anything but B5s for surrounds in a Debut speaker setup.) I don't think a couple Hz on the bottom end are the least bit significant for near field listening. This will be especially true when you and a good Sub to the mix. (Which should be the next thing you add speaker wise IMHO)

Good Luck with your purchase.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
Noflers,

OMG, never buy speakers based on delivery cycle. You will live with your choice for years!

However, in you case the B5s are well rated and the reviews I've seen are all positive. I'd start with the B5s and like mentioned above, when you move up to surrounds, you can re-evaluate if you want to go with B6s for the fronts, or even the F5s. I see no need to use anything but B5s for surrounds in a Debut speaker setup.) I don't think a couple Hz on the bottom end are the least bit significant for near field listening. This will be especially true when you and a good Sub to the mix. (Which should be the next thing you add speaker wise IMHO)

Good Luck with your purchase.
Haha, I should know better by now. Having access to Prime rewires your brain, I think.

Thats's what I was thinking about the difference between the B5 and B6 (a few Hz and $50).

Btw, I've got a sub, that's why I'm antsy :) It's hooked up to my Studio monitors (least desirable listening speaker)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Okay,

Help us out here and advise make /model of the Sub and amplifier /receiver and the great folks here can help you even more fill in your needs.

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
It's the JBL Es250p. I'm waiting to get the receiver until I pick out the speakers.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
FYI -

Sound & Vision reviewed this Sub as part of the JBL ES Series home theater speaker system in July 2008.

The ES250P Subwoofer's bass limits were measured with it set to maximum bandwidth (Crossover Bypass and Flat trim) and placed in the optimal corner of a 7,500-cubic-foot room. In a smaller room, users can expect 2 to 3 Hz deeper extension and up to 3 dB higher sound-pressure level (SPL.) The subwoofer's upper bandwidth was 103 Hz when its LFE input was used. With the internal crossover engaged, response only ranges from 52 to 81 Hz even though the crossover is marked from 50 to 150 Hz. There is also a 4-dB drop in level over the lower half of the crossover dial range, but no change in level over the upper half. To its credit, the ES250P can deliver 105 dB SPL (@ 2 meters) from 32 Hz upward.

How much are you thinking of spending on the HT Receiver?

The comparison linked above is certainly inconsistent with all the rest I've seen. Maybe auditioning a set or two simultaneously in your home (as long as return freight is free) would be the best bet anyway. It's really what you think is the best (sound & value wise) that counts. ;)

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
FYI -

Sound & Vision reviewed this Sub as part of the JBL ES Series home theater speaker system in July 2008.

The ES250P Subwoofer's bass limits were measured with it set to maximum bandwidth (Crossover Bypass and Flat trim) and placed in the optimal corner of a 7,500-cubic-foot room. In a smaller room, users can expect 2 to 3 Hz deeper extension and up to 3 dB higher sound-pressure level (SPL.) The subwoofer's upper bandwidth was 103 Hz when its LFE input was used. With the internal crossover engaged, response only ranges from 52 to 81 Hz even though the crossover is marked from 50 to 150 Hz. There is also a 4-dB drop in level over the lower half of the crossover dial range, but no change in level over the upper half. To its credit, the ES250P can deliver 105 dB SPL (@ 2 meters) from 32 Hz upward.

How much are you thinking of spending on the HT Receiver?

The comparison linked above is certainly inconsistent with all the rest I've seen. Maybe auditioning a set or two simultaneously in your home (as long as return freight is free) would be the best bet anyway. It's really what you think is the best (sound & value wise) that counts. ;)
Well, for now I'm thinking about a cheap receiver from goodwill or Craig's list, which I'm hoping will satisfy me until work picks back up and I can afford something a little nicer. I don't need anything with a million bells and whistles so I don't mind an older, quality receiver. I don't really know if I need hdmi inputs or not...

noflers

noflers

Junior Audioholic
Excited to announce I went with the Elac B5's. I am now in the process of finding the receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis