compare two displays simultaneously

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I would like to compare two displays at the same time, a Sony sxrd 70' and a sxrd 60'. I have had the 70" worked on and it still doesn't seem right. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to split the HDMI signal from a Directv DVR so as to watch the two displays at the same time?
BMW

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Pyrrho is giving you some options for active splitters. The passive splitter cables are quite a bit cheaper (<$20), but the ones that I could find all seem to get really bad reviews. For example, this one at Amazon.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Here is a cheap splitter $34.99

I would like to compare two displays at the same time, a Sony sxrd 70' and a sxrd 60'. I have had the 70" worked on and it still doesn't seem right. Is there a relatively inexpensive way to split the HDMI signal from a Directv DVR so as to watch the two displays at the same time?
BMW
This is a cheap splitter that will allow you to view two displays at the same time

http://cables.cablesunlimited.com/cables/Hdmi Splitter

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho is giving you some options for active splitters. The passive splitter cables are quite a bit cheaper (<$20), but the ones that I could find all seem to get really bad reviews. For example, this one at Amazon.
Some of the bad reviews are from people trying to do things like run 50' cables. No wonder it does not work for them, as the passive division is going to lesson the signal, and 50' cable will lesson it even more. If the TVs are side by side, which is what will be needed for a comparison anyway, it might work with reasonable length HDMI cables. Obviously, how well such a thing will work will depend upon the signal strength coming from the source, and the length of cables used, and the devices to which they are attached (as some TVs probably require a greater signal strength than others). Amazon, I believe, has a good return policy, so it might be worth trying, especially if one is ordering something else from them anyway, so one can get free shipping.

Here is a cheap powered splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/DHSP0102B-HDMI-x-Mini-Splitter/dp/B00186Z22G/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I have no idea how well it works. Here is a link to one for less:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DHSP0102B&cat=MON

Obviously, you can search for yourself to find the best price.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got to compare an image on two TV's by running component to one and hdmi to the other from my dvd player which I had putting out 480p.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I got to compare an image on two TV's by running component to one and hdmi to the other from my dvd player which I had putting out 480p.
That is probably the best suggestion yet. It is very cheap, and will probably be adequate for the real issue of comparing the TVs. If there is some doubt about which output is better, they can be switched, and one can then see if which one looks better is also changed.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys, I will probably try to get a little better HDMI splitter so I can compare high def programming. I'm going to check on your first suggestion. Are there any other suggestions that would show the true capabilities of my two displays?
BMW

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I should have asked earlier, but what, exactly, does not seem right about your newly repaired TV? Have you used a setup disc to adjust the controls to get the picture correct? Did you also do that when it was new?

If the settings of the TV are not properly set, the TV will not look right. Also, if you did not set it up properly when new, it may be that what you are looking for is incorrect settings that you happen to like; you would not be the first person who preferred to tinker with the settings and have them off what they are supposed to be.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Long......story. I bought what was probably the last 70" xbr2 in ca. When I picked it up the box kind of looked like it had been around the block. Upon setting it up, the picture was horrible. Two different Sony tech companys came out, the second one replaced the optical block. This helped the picture dramatically. However, it still has motion problems, some blur and jitteryness that I don't remember seeing in my 60" which I thought was spectacular. It also generally doesn't seem as sharp and maybe bright. I did have the display professionally calibrated. The results, were nothing to write home about. My first display was calibrated by Randy Tomlinson, who passed away. He was a super SXRD guy that could have looked at the display, knowing what to expect. The other day, we had a party and the kids hooked up their Xbox to the 60" and raved about it's picture. I am 6 mos. into my warrenty and would really like to get it right. Everybody that I have talked to online with this display feels that it is not working properly. Maybe by running the displays at the same time, a tech could see the problem. Todays tech guys work on all sorts of displays, so they really don't know what it should look like. It would be great to take it to Sony.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis