Compact bedroom/office system (<$200)

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I need a small system to be used in my bedroom or office. Stereo separation is not necessary. I'm not looking for sound-stage or super high-fidelity. I have other rooms in the house for that. But it should sound good.

I thought I had a winner in the new Sola from Parts Express, a ported, amplified box with two 2.5" full-range drivers. It has plenty of thump, but the EQ is all off. Way too much bass and mid-bass. Vocals sound like they are coming through a thick wool blanket. (I've broken it in for over 72 hours now.) Sadly, no EQ is available on the unit.

I would drive this by bluetooth, but don't need it built in, as I have several spare bluetooth receivers.

So, I am open to any small system. I don't mind separate speakers and amp, as long as its small, but am just as happy with an all-in-one solution. I am happy to wire things together, but don't really want to build a speaker or amp.

What say you?

Many thanks!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
A good table top radio can sound very good and will fit your price range. I'd pick up the Cambridge i755 which is on sale now for $224, Table Radios : Cambridge SoundWorks Outstanding Sound Quality and Performance at Factory Direct Prices. I own a predecessor of this unit. I used it for years and I gave it to my daughter who has been happily abusing it for the past few years cranking up the volume and the bass at every opportunity, :rolleyes:. It is a 2.1 system and the sound quality is actually pretty good. You do need an old school ipod though for this.

A unit that does internet music would be good as well like this, Ambiance WiFi Music Systems : Cambridge SoundWorks Outstanding Sound Quality and Performance at Factory Direct Prices. Or I'd check out what Sangean has. I own 3 old school Sangean radios and they're all really good. This is a wifi version, Amazon.com : Sangean WFR-20 WiFi Internet Radio & Media Player : Electronics

Buildsafire51

Buildsafire51

Enthusiast
I agree with the Yamaha unit. Although, I would always suggest looking at your local Craigslist and seeing if you can put together anything decent under your price range. I know CL can be hit and miss, but it doesn't hurt to try.

P

Plexmulti9

Junior Audioholic
I need a small system to be used in my bedroom or office. Stereo separation is not necessary. I'm not looking for sound-stage or super high-fidelity. I have other rooms in the house for that. But it should sound good.

I thought I had a winner in the new Sola from Parts Express, a ported, amplified box with two 2.5" full-range drivers. It has plenty of thump, but the EQ is all off. Way too much bass and mid-bass. Vocals sound like they are coming through a thick wool blanket. (I've broken it in for over 72 hours now.) Sadly, no EQ is available on the unit.

I would drive this by bluetooth, but don't need it built in, as I have several spare bluetooth receivers.

So, I am open to any small system. I don't mind separate speakers and amp, as long as its small, but am just as happy with an all-in-one solution. I am happy to wire things together, but don't really want to build a speaker or amp.

What say you?

Many thanks!

Ken
Seriously, $250 and worth every nickel....

Sonos Wireless Music Systems, HiFi Players, Controllers, Speakers & Accessories

& This if you don't have a network connection nearby...

Sonos Bridge Wireless HiFi System

Last edited by a moderator:
K

klaberte

Enthusiast
A good table top radio can sound very good and will fit your price range. I'd pick up the Cambridge i755 which is on sale now for $224, Table Radios : Cambridge SoundWorks Outstanding Sound Quality and Performance at Factory Direct Prices. I own a predecessor of this unit. I used it for years and I gave it to my daughter who has been happily abusing it for the past few years cranking up the volume and the bass at every opportunity, :rolleyes:. It is a 2.1 system and the sound quality is actually pretty good. You do need an old school ipod though for this.

A unit that does internet music would be good as well like this, Ambiance WiFi Music Systems : Cambridge SoundWorks Outstanding Sound Quality and Performance at Factory Direct Prices. Or I'd check out what Sangean has. I own 3 old school Sangean radios and they're all really good. This is a wifi version, Amazon.com : Sangean WFR-20 WiFi Internet Radio & Media Player : Electronics
Thanks for these ideas. I really like the idea of the Cambridge SoundWorks. Love direct mail audio products, and it seems to have the specs I need. However, I just have read lots of unhappy customers, not with the sound, but with the reliability. (What is the collective wisdom of audioholics on this question?)

The wifi Sangean looks nice, but I really don't need, nor wish to pay for, wifi capabilities. Bluetooth audio has gotten pretty good, and very convenient. I would prefer to put all my dollars on amps and speakers, and let my other tools provide the smarts.

Still, solid suggestions. Much appreciated.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I would check this Yamaha out - and has 4-1/2 speakers
YAMAHA MCR-042 Micro Component System w/iPod Dock Black | Accessories4less

Look at this Boston - and brand new from AC4L
A real good price
BOSTON ACOUSTICS i-DS3 plus iPhone iPod Speaker System White NEW | Accessories4less
Yamaha looks nice, but have no need for the CD player. Like I mentioned just above, I'd rather not pay for things I won't use, but will if it still provides the best value for speakers and amp.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
Logitech Wireless Boombox for $65 - $20 rebate [Exp 3/31] = $45 with free shipping. Features 8 drivers, 33' Bluetooth range and up to 6 hours of battery life.
If you are using a MP3 player this would be perfect: Logitech Bluetooth Speaker (984-000181) - Newegg.com
This looks great, and I may buy it for other uses. This one has the battery instead of powered by AC. My sense is that the amp design and speakers need to be battery friendly in such a design. It might be fine for my application, I might give it a try.

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
For one-piece system, the NAD Viso 1 sounds better than any other I've heard. Great bass, overall more hi-fi sound than the competition. The acoustic design was done by NAD's sister company PSB. The treble quality is good but the 2.75" drivers are directional, so it's a little warm sounding overall. Lacking in stereo separation, of course. It's $300, but I think it's worth it. (Much better than one-piece systems I've heard from Bose, Apple and Cambridge Soundworks.) It has a 30-pin iPod dock, lossless AptX bluetooth receiver, and an optical digital input. (I bought a cheap analog-to-digital convertor for like $25 in case I want to hook up analog sources to it.)

Amazon.com: NAD VISO 1 Wireless Digital Music Speaker System w/ Bluetooth - iPod/iPhone/iPad: MP3 Players & Accessories

Or you could go with a 3-piece system similar to the Teac mentioned above. I would recommend that you buy a receiver unit, and get a pair of bookshelf speakers separately from an actual speaker company instead of the electronics company. Yamaha Pianocraft compact receivers are on eBay for <$100, leaving you $100+ for used speakers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
This looks great, and I may buy it for other uses. This one has the battery instead of powered by AC. My sense is that the amp design and speakers need to be battery friendly in such a design. It might be fine for my application, I might give it a try.
I have the same non bluetooth version and this player kicks butt. You won't be sorry I was amazed how great it sounded with my Sandisc Clip+ Flac/MP3 player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis