Comcast "updated" On-screen Guide

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Comcast recently sent a notice about the proposed "update" to their On-Screen Guide. I was expecting something slick with flaws in the old version fixed.

I just got the new On-Screen version. I cannot believe what they have done to it. Its clunky, even more non-intuitive than the earlier version and looks like something from the original Doom era. On top of it all I now have to hit "0-0-2" or "0-3-3" etc to go to lower channes and the Guide only shows 2 channel listings at a time, flipping both at the same time as you scroll down. STUPID. Think going from HD to SD and calling it "upgrade"!

Oh, I do get to select what color the Guide can be...:mad:

Thanks Comcast for "upgrading" my On-Screen Guide.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ditto...

You need to move out of the dark ages and step-up to sat TV. I wouldn't take cableTV if it was free.

Cable=Computer only

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've always had to hit "0-0-2" to go to the lower channels...so not sure what you mean. You should be able to control the number of lines on the screen and choose whether it goes by page or single line as you scroll. Not really a Comcast fan myself either, but I am even less of a Dish fan.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Ditto...

You need to move out of the dark ages and step-up to sat TV. I wouldn't take cableTV if it was free.

Cable=Computer only
You know, guys, some people live in apartments or condo's and can't stick sat. dishes on the outside of the building. Unfortunately, because the sooner I can leave Comcast, the better! :mad:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I've always had to hit "0-0-2" to go to the lower channels...so not sure what you mean. You should be able to control the number of lines on the screen and choose whether it goes by page or single line as you scroll. Not really a Comcast fan myself either, but I am even less of a Dish fan.
In the previous version, with the Guide up, all I had to do was "2" or "33". Its just inconvenient compared to before. I'll look into the settings for number of lines, but I did not see anything the first time I went in. My audio settings had be changed from "No compression" before to "Max Compression" after the "upgrade" too... I'm just pissed off and needed to vent. Even my wife, who usually does not care about such things is under whelmed.

You know, guys, some people live in apartments or condo's and can't stick sat. dishes on the outside of the building.
That would be me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually disconnect my box unless there is a PPV event I want to watch...because their guide has always pretty much sucked.

Senior Audioholic
They "upgraded" our local system from the Microsoft Enhanced guide to the I-Guide a couple weeks ago.

Wow I never in my life thought I would say this but the Microsoft product was better.:eek:

The I in I-Guide stands for Interactive only reason I can think they call this P.O.S. "Interactive" is now you need to press twice as many buttons to accomplish the same task.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have Comcast myself but I deal with it every day at work. Comcast "upgraded" the OSD in my region a few months ago. While I can't do anything about that, I can tell you how to make it so you don't have to punch in "0-0-4".

1. Hit the menu button
2. Go to "Main Menu" (second cryptic icon from the left),
3. Go to "Guide Setup"
4. Change the "No Auto-Tune" option to "Auto-Tune"

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Ho,
Thanks for the little tip. I passed that onto my parents. Having to punch three digits to reach a lower channel is an unnecessary hassle.
I like my Cox box...:eek:

-pat

(I don't have to punch in the zeros. You people have dirty minds!)

Senior Audioholic
You need to move out of the dark ages and step-up to sat TV. /QUOTE]
Step up?:rolleyes:

I am a long way from being a cable fan boy but, but satellite's "HD-Lite" over compressed picture quality is inferior to cable.

But then again cable's less compressed HD picture quality is inferior to OTA's uncompressed HD picture quality.

Funny that highest quality HD picture is available free of charge.:cool:

As long as you live close enough to the city to receive it.:mad:

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
OTA HD signals certainly are not uncompressed. They are compressed just like any cable signal.

Senior Audioholic
OTA HD signals certainly are not uncompressed. They are compressed just like any cable signal.
I guess so, but the general consensus is OTA is not compressed as much as cable or sat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis