"Closed" cooling cabinate or open rack?

F

FNG212

Audioholic
The thread about cabinet fans got me thinking if its better (in terms of cooling/noise) to run a closed cabinet with fans or an open-air rack? The rack will obviously be louder but will it keep things cooler? I'm leaning towards the cabinet but curious what other people are thinking.

Thanks.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
If I could I would put the receiver on a rack and the players (the noisy ones) on a cabinet.
Using a large fan on top of the receiver will cool it and you won't hear it. That's what I've done in my office. I use a 22cm(or 25) fan on top of a Yamaha RX-V861.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMHO, I don't think a cabinet with drawn air will keep anything cooler unless you have the ability to do a flow study and testing to get proper flow through the entire cabinet. A couple of small fans aren't going to be sufficient to adequately vent a large rack. Heat rises, so it will naturally vent itself; just having enough open space and enough room for the air to move on its own could be enough if it isn't a lot of gear or a lot of gear that generates a lot of heat.

An open rack doesn't really need to take flow into consideration because the heat is directly transferred out in whatever direction it likes.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
+1 on an open rack with a fan blowing into the receiver. That gets you active cooling of your hottest component with maximum ventilation.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
On the other hand, if you're using an open rack, there's no need for ventilation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis