M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
While I'm playing around with the new Behringer DEQ 2496 equalizer, I sometimes make mistakes and make the signal clip to hell (like when I tried to slope the entire bass spectrum up). How much of a risk is there of damaging speakers, and is it easy to tell when you kill a driver? What are some good precautions to take when playing around?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Learn and live by audio rule #1 at all times.

"If it sounds funky or bad, turn it down NOW!!!"

FWIW, audio riule # 2 is "Always power down everything when kerfutzing with any wires."

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Post erased for ignorant statement.

Mazurek: Clipping is bad for your speakers. A badly clipping amp *can* cook your tweeters.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Jaxvon,

I would do a bit more research on what actually causes drivers to fail before making that statement.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
Is there a distinction between a badly clipped amp, and a badly clipped signal going into the amp at normal listening levels?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mazurek said:
Is there a distinction between a badly clipped amp, and a badly clipped signal going into the amp at normal listening levels?

If it's clipped going into the amp, it will not be clipped coming out, but the amp will reproduce the signal exactly as it is. So while you probably won't damage your speakers, it will sound really bad. Clipping an amp is a bad thing, period. The RMS power increases dramatically, and the possibility of damaging speakers increases.

annunaki

annunaki

Jaxvon,

I wasn't trying to be mean. :) Sorry if you took it that way.

Basiaclly, the extra power generated WHEN an amplifier clips is what destroys speakers. They (speakers, individual drivers) typically will go into power compression, causing massive heat buildup on the voice coils. Odd order harmonics along with higher than recommended power levels can damage tweeters very easily.

MacManNM, that is spot on.

A fully clipped amplifier will output TWICE it's rated rms power (RMS/Continuous Power is typically rated at .1% thd or below).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis