C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I love classical guitar, but I don't really know any artists to check out. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys,
-Chad

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
cbraver said:
I love classical guitar, but I don't really know any artists to check out. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys,
-Chad
Are you speaking of acoustic(unplugged)?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Christopher Parkening, John Williams, Carlos Montoya, LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet) are a few that I can think of.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Um, Jack Johnson is great, but he's certainly not classical. :confused: I think he's referring to classical music (eg Sor, Granados, Bach, etc).

I'd say Fabio Zanon is perhaps the most impressive classical guitarist I've ever heard. You can't go wrong with the recordings of Julian Bream, Andre Segovia or John Williams, either [with one caveat- most of Segovia's recordings are mid-fi at best; he died years ago and some of his material is mono- the performances are great, though].

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Rob Babcock said:
Um, Jack Johnson is great, but he's certainly not classical. :confused: I think he's referring to classical music (eg Sor, Granados, Bach, etc).

I'd say Fabio Zanon is perhaps the most impressive classical guitarist I've ever heard. You can't go wrong with the recordings of Julian Bream, Andre Segovia or John Williams, either [with one caveat- most of Segovia's recordings are mid-fi at best; he died years ago and some of his material is mono- the performances are great, though].
That's why I asked the question "are you speaking of acoustic (unplugged)?"

That's also why I gave the link. Just to be sure. :confused: :eek:

H

hlesser

Audioholic Intern
Guitar masters

Julian Bream (Albeniz, RCA), Sharon Isbin (Dreams of a World), Manuel Barrueco (300 yrs of Classical Guitar music - 3 CDs at Borders for $16!!!!), Jason Vieaux (on Naxos label), David Russell on Telarc label. All to say nothing of Segovia, John Williams, etc etc. There's a rich set of wonderful stuff out there to sample.

Logman

Logman

Enthusiast
For a more contemporary classical style (i.e. with a pop feel), I really enjoy Jesse Cook. His version of Fragile is very nice.

I also enjoy Marc Antione - although he's certainly not classical. But if you enjoy classical, he's worth checking out.

Logman

Logman

Enthusiast
rgriffin25 said:
Christopher Parkening, John Williams, Carlos Montoya, LAGQ (Los Angeles Guitar Quartet) are a few that I can think of.
I heard LAGQ today, they sound pretty cool.

Do you recommend any specific CD?

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
The only one I'm familiar with...

Logman said:
I heard LAGQ today, they sound pretty cool.

Do you recommend any specific CD?
...is "Guitar Heroes"...not specifically classical, but definitely unplugged...some pieces outstanding, some less so IMO, but overall quite good...

Check their website for info on it...www.lagq.com

And definitely NOT classical, you might wanna' check out "Gone, Just Like A Train" by Bill Frisell...with Viktor Krauss on bass and Jim Keltner on drums and percussion...nice guitar, particularly on track 2 "Verona". It's probably one of the best engineered albums I've heard to date; I think it's really good to show-off your system...tons of depth and dimension without artificiality...Keltner's drums are spot-on.

jimHJJ(...leastways I like it...)

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
only a 2 minute classical guitar song.. but you should definately hear it..

"dee" by randy rhodes. unfinished acoustic guitar, i guess he died before he could finish it.

M

Miami Guitar

Audiophyte
Classical Guitarists

cbraver said:
I highly recommend a classical guitarist named Anthony Glise. The CD is called Diabelli: The Complete Sonatas For Solo Guitar. It is very good.

Also Julian Bream is great. Old Segovia -- the very early recordings.

--
Miami Guitar Resources

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
the best of the best come from Spain:
-Paco de Lucia- he plays anything from Spanish tablao music to jazz, to classical. I highly recommend a cd in which he plays with John McLaughlin and Al di Meola. THE FIRST ONE, there are two, the sequel didn't have the... spontaneity. all three of them are virtuosos.
-the Romeros, especially Celedonio
-Narciso Yepes,
-and the Masters' Master: Andres Segovia
you won't have a problem finding these guys at amazon

I think both Yepes and Segovia are dead, but there are excellent recordings available

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis