Class A/B vs Class D amp comparisons

jinjuku

jinjuku

Let's hope that Boutique manufacturers can make a modern HT Preamp.
Maybe the XMC-1 will be the first. However, even if they get the room correction right, they are nowhere near adding the video processing, network features, and app support of an BD Player.

I do not think they could possibly do it. I think it may be harder for an amp company to add Video/Network features that it may be for a BD company to add preamp features. Time will tell.

- Rich
If Oppo could get Audyssey, Trinnov, DIRAC etc in there and do an advance player for $1700-1900 they would certainly have another winner on their hands IMO. I think Emotiva's bet on their Pre-Pro was to get something that the other boutique brands could re-label.

We have a SaaS product that we are still considering calling our competition that deals only in the single site/ setup on a desktop workspace and allowing for white labeling. That way you get multiple sales channels out of the deal.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'll just ask: What would that reputation be? Far as I can tell Emotiva has a good rep. Outlaw audio also.
For Emotiva, great, sometimes awesome value overall, especially on my estimated parts cost to price ratio for electronics, but compromised quality and ergonomics, and sometimes reliability. One friend tried to warn me off of them (he had a pre-pro), but I couldn't imagine how they could screw up a CD player. (Yet they did.) From what I've seen firsthand, amplifiers look like their strong suit. I haven't seen their speakers, so I can't comment on those.

My impression, just from my own casual research, was that Outlaw's reputation is better, which is why I took a chance on them for the 975 pre-pro. I overlook its shortcomings because the price was really right and its performance overall is top-notch, but occasionally the output level constraint still pisses me off, and I think to myself: "how could they?"

You aren't going to see as many threads averaged across multiple forums because Mc doesn't sell as much hardware as Emotiva or Outlaw. I'm not knocking Mc quality. Just the notion that outfits that have this pedigree name somehow have the market cornered on Engineering.

The Crown DC 300A that purchased in ~88 that was manufactured in ~1977 is still in use today.
I wasn't saying that McIntosh, or any company for that matter, had a corner on great engineering. I'm simply saying that I have yet to see a case where McIntosh's wasn't outstanding, and I have known so many people who have owned them over the years. I've seen otherwise with Emo and Outlaw, that's all. Regarding Crown, I've owned multiple Crown products and I've always thought very highly of them. I'm not sure why you're getting defensive, I was just using your examples.

It certainly is. Hardware is a piece of cake compared to the software. It's darn hard to pull it off. Denon or Yamaha probably have software only engineering teams larger than the entire engineering bench at 99% (actually I will say all of the boutique and ID companies.
Agreed, nonetheless, much to my surprise Outlaw seems to have hit a cord with the 975 pre-pro at the price they ask for it. After seeing it in my modest video set-up two other people have ordered it, even after telling them my caveats.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
If Oppo could get Audyssey, Trinnov, DIRAC etc in there and do an advance player for $1700-1900 they would certainly have another winner on their hands IMO. I think Emotiva's bet on their Pre-Pro was to get something that the other boutique brands could re-label.

We have a SaaS product that we are still considering calling our competition that deals only in the single site/ setup on a desktop workspace and allowing for white labeling. That way you get multiple sales channels out of the deal.

Oppo's parent uses some DIRAC technology in their phones.
Oppo Digital has announced a new Headphone and USB/DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp thingies:

OPPO Digital Future Products

Good luck with your new Saas product.

- Rich

jinjuku

jinjuku

For Emotiva, great, sometimes awesome value overall,
Agreed and also agree with you on their pre amps and pre-processor's. I've heard some people really liking the Emotiva CD player however. What I couldn't figure out is what in the world prompted them to make one in the first place. Might as well crank out a TT.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What I couldn't figure out is what in the world prompted them to make one in the first place. Might as well crank out a TT.
There are, jinjuku, still a substantial number of dinosaurs out there, like me, who have thousands of CDs, and are too busy or too lazy or both to rip them all, and use a computer to play music. I just use a CD player as transport, but I'm still spinning (and buying...) little silver discs.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are, jinjuku, still a substantial number of dinosaurs out there, like me, who have thousands of CDs, and are too busy or too lazy or both to rip them all, and use a computer to play music. I just use a CD player as transport, but I'm still spinning (and buying...) little silver discs.
I have a lot of ripping to do but I do buy disks and occasionally buy music from HDTracks.
I cannot bring myself to buy an MP3. The only one I have was free, I got a coupon and used it to buy Alvin and the chipmunks Christmas song. A 24/96 version was not required :)

A few more dino's and we will have a herd. :p

- Rich

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It really is a shame that nobody seems to be able to make a dead simple pre/pro that has a decent ARC that doesn't cost ~$3k. I like my AVR OK, but there are just so many features that I don't need/want. Both the Emotiva and Outlaw offerings are tempting, but I've read too many things here and everywhere else that makes me want to stick with the big names (even though the price is bloated due to having every feature under the sun).

As far as amps go, I don't see why HK doesn't release something with the current Crown class D tech to test the waters. Their stuff is usually well regarded even though most view their offerings to be somewhat behind the times (no bloated features). They could even implement some ARC by taking their existing DBX tech used in the DriveRack series and modifying it for HT use. The tech is there, it just isn't used. They even have JBL's ARC to go off of if they wanted. I'd buy it. :confused:

jinjuku

jinjuku

That market is shrinking so I assume that the margins on their CD player was pretty good. All my stuff from CD to DVD is ripped. I still buy CD's. Even Pepsi comes in a can.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That market is shrinking so I assume that the margins on their CD player was pretty good. All my stuff from CD to DVD is ripped. I still buy CD's. Even Pepsi comes in a can.
And I still buy Coke in that little glass bottle. ps: great for taking bugs off the windshield, :Dand removing rust. :eek:

P

padgman1

Enthusiast
Glad to see such insightful commentary on this thread ( been out of the country for 5 weeks without electronics - on purpose).
Would really like to see that 200x5 Class D amp well under $1000 sometime in the near future..............(would also like a winning Powerball ticket, but that's another story........)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Glad to see such insightful commentary on this thread ( been out of the country for 5 weeks without electronics - on purpose).
Would really like to see that 200x5 Class D amp well under $1000 sometime in the near future..............(would also like a winning Powerball ticket, but that's another story........)
You can get 8 channels of Class D for for $1040plus some shipping. 300 WPC at 8 Ohm, 500 WPC at 4 Ohm. And it's from a well known manufacturer that assembles them in California: Carvin.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis