chuffing - what is it and what causes it?

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
You have all given me much to think about. Thank you!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't read through all the posts yet. But is your port close to a wall?

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
gmichael said:
I didn't read through all the posts yet. But is your port close to a wall?
Yes it is actually. And near a corner to boot.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Methost said:
Yes it is actually. And near a corner to boot.
How close? I can't tell you the exact distance it should be, but I'd think 6 inches would be about as close as I would put it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
methodist, Did you have a chance toplay with room location

Methost said:
I think I know what chuffing is because the word sounds like the noise made by my x-sub during some loud, low frequency scenes in certain films.

Is this caused by volume or my frequencies lower then my sub can handle? Or is it a combination of both?

Can this be remedied? My room size is in excess of 2500 cu ft and is open to another room. It's not a great room for sound, but it's what I am stuck with.

Any suggestions on how to curb this noise?

Any luck on the chuffing?

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
3db said:
Any luck on the chuffing?

My amp is still at Cadence ... wont get it back for a week or so. I have pleanty to think about though.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
annunaki said:
Great advice gmichael. I did not even think of that. :)
Thanks, I just remember someone else having that same problem a while back. Another person suggested moving the port way from the wall and it did the job for them.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Methost said:
I think I know what chuffing is because the word sounds like the noise made by my x-sub during some loud, low frequency scenes in certain films.

Is this caused by volume or my frequencies lower then my sub can handle? Or is it a combination of both?

Can this be remedied? My room size is in excess of 2500 cu ft and is open to another room. It's not a great room for sound, but it's what I am stuck with.

Any suggestions on how to curb this noise?
Maybe a combination of both.I also noticed from their web site that it has a bass eq control.Is it turned up ?

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
brendy said:
Maybe a combination of both.I also noticed from their web site that it has a bass eq control.Is it turned up ?
Its has a 4 knobs. Phase (not sure what to make of it) Volume, Crossover and another one that ranges from -12db to +12db. Is this last knob the bass eq control? If so, I keep it in the center because like the phase knob, Im not quite sure what it does.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Methost said:
Its has a 4 knobs. Phase (not sure what to make of it) Volume, Crossover and another one that ranges from -12db to +12db. Is this last knob the bass eq control? If so, I keep it in the center because like the phase knob, Im not quite sure what it does.
Cadence calls it bass boost...it's a 50hz filter/EQ. In my room I preferred it cut, depending on the source from -12 to -6. It just sounded cleaner and it might help to eliminate some of that chuffing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis