Chroma bug in DVD players

G

<font color='#000000'>I am a bit confused with this issue. &nbsp;Many players have been torn to shreds regarding this, but I have read that using a players progressive scan you can avoid this problem. &nbsp;Does this go for all players or certain players, if its only certain players does someone have a link for a listing of those players.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Rupertoo;

Only one particular online publication which will  remain nameless has blown the chroma bug out of proportion for reasons no other than to gain publicity IMO.  The original players that exhibited this problem ranged from slightly noticeable, to severe. &nbsp;However, the newer generation players currently out on the market (IE. Sony 999ES) these days that use a chipset which exhibits this anomaly does so to a very limited, and usually not noticeable extent, and also dependent on the Display the player interfaces with.

When setting up a high resolution video system, one should be more concerned with proper
Grayscale Calibration and color balance.  Many of the credible audio/video publications such as Sound and Vision Magazine discuss the importance of Grayscale Calibration and also recommend ISF calibration to achieve the ultimate resolution in non compromised home theater systems.

[edited: grammar]</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I know this chroma bug may not be visible, much less irritatingly visible as hinted in the site, especially on TV screens less than 25&quot;. &nbsp;But the issue does leave a rather unpalatable reputation for some manufacturers, especially those exotic and hi-priced names. &nbsp;It's definitely a valid decoding error which manufactuers would probably not have corrected had it not been raised.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>av_phile;

A very valid point and I am not trying to take away from others who have documented this problem. &nbsp;However, do note that the chroma bug issue was brought up long ago in A/V publications such as S&amp;V and HTCC and they also noted that recent players utilizing chipsets that are still plaqued from this problem are far less severe and usually not noticeable. &nbsp;For example, prior to reviewing one of the players that allegedly suffered from Chroma Bug Sony DVP-NS999ES we were surprised our extensive testing on this unit did not exacerbate this problem as some may have lead others to believe.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Gene, is the grayscale calibration part if an ISF calibration. &nbsp;If not, how does someone go about having a set adjusted. &nbsp;Is this something I can do or is it worth the $ to have this done by a tech. &nbsp;I currently have the Sony 34XBR800 with the sony200 hd tuner.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis