ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Hello
I have the Chord Mojo Headphone amp/dac. I am having an issue where out of no where the sound will cut out. I have to pull the usb cord out and replug it in and it starts working again. I am using an Iphone with the usb camera adapter cable to hook up my phone to the Mojo. Chord Electronics says it's my cables. I switched the mini USB cable and no luck. Before going out and buying another ridiculous expensive Apple camera adapter/usb cable does anyone use one and have any thoughts?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
29 dollars for the OE Apple adapter. It's not much but wanted to ask here first to get some feedback.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It sure sounds like the cable is the problem. Why are you not using the one that comes with the unit? I know it is a ridiculously short one but at least you can use it to find out if the camera kit is the problem. Obviously, to use that cable you have to use an Android phone, or a laptop.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
It sure sounds like the cable is the problem. Why are you not using the one that comes with the unit? I know it is a ridiculously short one but at least you can use it to find out if the camera kit is the problem. Obviously, to use that cable you have to use an Android phone, or a laptop.
I am using the original short cable. I am using an Iphone as well and have to use the Apple adapter. I don't own a laptop or Android phone either.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I suspect the cable also, especially since it is an Apple cable. I find Apple cables to unusually fragile, and try whenever possible to avoid them, if say a Belden cable is available.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am using the original short cable. I am using an Iphone as well and have to use the Apple adapter. I don't own a laptop or Android phone either.
Mine works perfectly even with a cheap longer cable with my Android and win10 lap top. I also have an iPhone and will try it this week end to find out if I can duplicate your problem. I will have to borrow an adapter.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I suspect the cable also, especially since it is an Apple cable. I find Apple cables to unusually fragile, and try whenever possible to avoid them, if say a Belden cable is available.
I haven't found a good aftermarket replacement for the Apple fire to USB camera adapter.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't found a good aftermarket replacement for the Apple fire to USB camera adapter.
It's like fire, lightning
The way you love me is frightening
You better knock, knock on wood, baby

yes, I've been told I do very obscure associations, but the port you're referring to isn't called fire ;-)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am trying it now using the cheap usb cable that came with the unit and the Apple lightning to USB adapter. It has been working for an hour so far, with no interruption at all. You may just have a bad cable.

IMG_20170417_162312.jpg

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Update. I tried a new cable and also a new Apple adapter and I am still have drop out issues. I think I have a bad connector on the Mojo.. Time to get it checked out. In the mean time can anyone suggest another DAC/AMP combo. Maybe the OPPO???

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Update. I tried a new cable and also a new Apple adapter and I am still have drop out issues. I think I have a bad connector on the Mojo.. Time to get it checked out. In the mean time can anyone suggest another DAC/AMP combo. Maybe the OPPO???
It can still be your phone. Do you have a laptop/desktop PC, Android phone or another iPhone, or iPad, iPod etc. that you can try. I have the Oppo HA-1, also class A and sounds great, but no greater than the Mojo. In a month or two I will be ready for the Oppo Sonica as well. I doubt it will sound much different than the HA-1 but I am getting one just for functionality reasons.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Phone? Ugh. That would be a bummer. Wouldn't want to replace that any time soon. I'll hook it up to a Macbook and see what happens.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I meant the connector on the phone, unlikely, but it easy to eliminate that possibility if you have another source device such as your MacBook.

For portable DAC, the Mojo is hard to beat, unless you don't mind the look of Xduoo's.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Update... So I got a chance to use the Mojo on my new Mac book. It was fine with all the chords as well. So I am guessing something is wrong with my Iphone 6s Plus connector. May be time to upgrade if this is the case since I use it almost every night.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Update... So I got a chance to use the Mojo on my new Mac book. It was fine with all the chords as well. So I am guessing something is wrong with my Iphone 6s Plus connector. May be time to upgrade if this is the case since I use it almost every night.
All the "chords", what other Chord DAC you have? Aside from the little Mojo, the one I am waiting for is the Hugo2, can't afford Dave.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I guess that was a dream that I had. Nope only the Mojo here. The rest of the cord's worked fine. Lol.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What usually happens is that repeated stress on the socket from the leverage of the plugs fractures the etched printed circuit on the board. This happens on laptops also. The grandchildren are hard on the plugs in their laptops, and I have had to repair circuit boards.

Basically it is expected that if you frequently plug into a socket on a microcircuit board you will inevitably court trouble.

I use the lightening connector on my iPhone only for charging and take the plug in and out very gently.

It is just courting trouble to use the lightening connector for any other purpose than charging.

Induction is the best way to connect to external devices or radio.

When all is said and done, a phone is a phone and a means of communication and not primarily a personal audio system.

I have an iphone 6 and so still have a head phone socket. I do occasionally use my Momentum head phones with it when away from home. Those phones have the optimum impedance and sensitivity to match the headphone amps of those sort of devices. It sounds excellent. The problem with using the headphone jack is that as far as I can tell only Sennheiser Momentums are properly designed for that application. So the problem is not the phone DAC or headphone amp but the phones.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Good info. I too have the Iphone 6 and use it for everything. It's my hub for my music when I use headphones. Hard to get around the convenience of it.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Instead of using the Iphone as my media source, does anyone have any suggestions on a player I can use to sink my Itunes music and use it instead of my phone. I don't want to spend a ton of money but would like a nice player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis