Choosing a tube preamp

I

ifsixwasnin9

Junior Audioholic
Been thinking of getting a (vintage) tube preamp because I've read that they produce a cleaner signal (than solid state preamps) and I'm looking to improve my system's detail, etc. What should I look for (transformers, tubes, specs, etc.) when buying a tube preamp? (fyi: Vintage: Because my budget is small.)

I've also looked at DIY preamps using vintage schematics (see link below) and I can't follow the mods that are made (to possibly improve on the original preamp) and I don't have an oscilloscope so I guess DIY is out of the question.

Aikido Amplifier Revisited

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Been thinking of getting a (vintage) tube preamp because I've read that they produce a cleaner signal (than solid state preamps)
So you'll just believe it?

and I'm looking to improve my system's detail, etc.
Well, you're looking at the wrong place.... preamps, wires, etc won't improve any detail. The room and speakers are around 95% of what you hear.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Been thinking of getting a (vintage) tube preamp because I've read that they produce a cleaner signal (than solid state preamps) and I'm looking to improve my system's detail, etc. What should I look for (transformers, tubes, specs, etc.) when buying a tube preamp? (fyi: Vintage: Because my budget is small.)

I've also looked at DIY preamps using vintage schematics (see link below) and I can't follow the mods that are made (to possibly improve on the original preamp) and I don't have an oscilloscope so I guess DIY is out of the question.

Aikido Amplifier Revisited
You might look into some thing like this Audio Research Reference 5 Preamplifier | Tube | New Haven, Connecticut 06510 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community and they are priced decent to. Might be a good starter set-up for you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Been thinking of getting a (vintage) tube preamp because I've read that they produce a cleaner signal (than solid state preamps)
And I read just the opposite.;):D

and I'm looking to improve my system's detail, etc.
Why would you think a tube preamp would give you that? You need properly recorded source material and the speakers and room to reproduce it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I love my tubes. PS it's not cleaner, maybe a little warmth and fuzziness :cool:

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
I love my tubes. PS it's not cleaner, maybe a little warmth and fuzziness :cool:
Sometimes I miss the McIntosh seperates Pop had when I was a teenager in the late 1960's on his Klipschorns. But now I am into Blurays and HD audio
and being retired now my system is on 16 hours a day. I have noticed when I record "Analog" on Pop's old Revox R2R it has the "Warmth" sound, even on my Yamaha HD AVR.:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis