Choosing a receiver....Pioneer vsx-815 or vsx-1015

M

mexicanzero

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking to upgrade my receiver because it just dont cut it anymore!! i have a thurst for more bass and more oomph!! i presently have a Yamaha HTR-5730 and its acting up so i'm going to go exchange it since its still under warranty. I was looking at both the Pioneer vsx-815 and vsx-1015 as you can imagine getting the vsx-1015 would be a big kick in the wallet for a high school student like me but i want to know if its worth it over the vsx-815. I dont want to have to buy a new receiver in the future when my needs arise for more power once i buy my own house and all that so i wantet to buy one with pre outs. I've heard some complaints that the pre outs on the 815 arent very good and that it sounds much better using the integrated amp, does the 1015 have this same problem? Is this true that it makes loud hissing sounds that keep it from sounding good? I live in Canada and I got my receiver at best buy their selection isn't great buy if anyone can find one on that site thats better for my application it would be cool.

thanx a bunch

-Alex

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Pioneer Receiver

Expect the performance of the 815 to be closer to that of the low end Yamaha you are returning. Also check the Audioholics review of the 815. Since it sounds like you live at home and have a small room, the 815 would provide more than enough power.
The 1015, however, is a big step up in terms of quality, performance, and amp power. It is also a THX Select receiver. If it is in your budget, go for the better model. You can find it online for around $400.

If you are not opposed to the Yamaha brand, the HTR-5860 would make a good upgrade. It has pre-outs, 7 channes, auto setup and EQ. You can find it online for about $300 from authorized dealers.

M

mexicanzero

Audioholic Intern

I found the 1015 at best buy 100$ off so i decided it wouldnt hurt. It sounds awsome!!!! way more powerful than my yamaha and so many options!! i love it!! and it was on sale, cant get any better than that!!! thanx for the recommendations tho

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
mexicanzero said:
I found the 1015 at best buy 100$ off so i decided it wouldnt hurt. It sounds awsome!!!! way more powerful than my yamaha and so many options!! i love it!! and it was on sale, cant get any better than that!!! thanx for the recommendations tho
Congratulations- more so because they're not easy to find. You got lucky.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis