Cheapest way to control sound via remote with my setup.

C

courtjameson

Enthusiast
Typing with one hand right now, please excuse the grammar and brevity. I have a crown XLS2500 professional amp paired with a Sony UDA-1 dac. The Sony is advertised as a preamp but it does not have volume control for the line out. Do I need a new pre amp or is there anything I can to the setup? Need to use a remote.

The sony has a headphone out, since the crown is pro amp can I get a rca converter? The hp out does have volume control.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

From everything I see online, that unit is touted as an amplifier and/or headphone amplifier, not specifically a pre amp. It even says “Amplifier” right on the front panel.

It’s hard to make a recommendation since you give no indication of your intended uses, source components, etc. But if “cheapest pre amp with remote” is all you’re after, your best bet would be to ebay a vintage stereo pre-amp from the 80s or 90s. All the major manufacturers had them, and most of them came with remote control.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

C

courtjameson

Enthusiast
From everything I see online, that unit is touted as an amplifier and/or headphone amplifier, not specifically a pre amp. It even says “Amplifier” right on the front panel.

It’s hard to make a recommendation since you give no indication of your intended uses, source components, etc. But if “cheapest pre amp with remote” is all you’re after, your best bet would be to ebay a vintage stereo pre-amp from the 80s or 90s. All the major manufacturers had them, and most of them came with remote control.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yeah it's main use is for laptops, desktops, headphones ect. It's main fuction is not a preamp though it is advertised as having that feature. I guess it was unnecessary to bring up, my main point is that it's really just a dac. It sounds great though and I'm hoping I can use it. There's no IR add on's with gain or the like?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

There was such an item made back in the ’90s, the Chase Technologies RLC-1. It was designed to give remote control to vintage stereo receivers that didn’t have remote control. It would connect across the receiver’s tape loop, and all your components would plug into the RLC-1. The RLC-1 would then be able to switch between your components, and give you remote control for volume as well as bass and treble.

I’m sure you can ebay one pretty cheap. You could connect it between the Sony’s output and the Crown’s input and get remote controlled volume. But since it has no digital inputs, that’s the only thing the RLC-1 could do for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
not IR, BUT you can run it where ever you want, rca's after your preamp before our amp and BANG, volume control, I have one in a system, its works great... very well made too.. I paid $50 though, SOB..
I like this for changing a regular amp into an integrated of sorts, you can also get a http://www.amazon.com/1-Out-Selector-Switch-Remote-AVs41I/dp/B000RXVITM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445996468&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+selector+av and further make a regualr amp a preamp of sorts...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis