Cheap power for small to mid sized Magnepans

55dok

Audiophyte
This is an updated repost of a review I wrote on audioreview.com :
I purchased a luxman R117 receiver as a low cost addition to a "budget" high end system. One spray bottle of contact cleaner from radioshack took care of static from the volume pot and balance knob. I have not used the tuner section but use the unit to power magnepan 1.6 QRs speakers via rare apex signature speaker cables. I use an old sony 5 disc CDP 75es redbook player as a transport with a McCormack DAC-1 Deluxe DAC with an assemblage ultrajitterbug and a cogan hall digital cable. The receiver can power the magnepans to absurdly high levels of volume with clean power. Your ears and neighbors will give up before the amp section does! The sound is not harsh but neither is it too tube like. Given the DAC and other components it is difficult to characterize except that it is very accurate and neutral when using the CD bypass switch which routes the CD signal past most of the pre-amp controls for a more direct connection. This is where the unit shines. It sounds as good as your source material and the McCormack deluxe DAC is very, very good even when compared to more modern offerings. Without the CD bypass the sound is still excellent but slightly veiled and not quite as sweet as a nakamichi stasis SR-3 receiver. However the underpowered nakamichi runs out of gas on some full orchestral passages. The luxman also gives you the oportunity to bi-amp and has a remote for those that don't like to cross a room to adjust the volume etc. I've heard the Magnepan 1.6 speakers with classe electonics and a classe 1.5 CD player as well as with a Krell 300il and meridian 508 player and while different room acoustics obviously varied the sound quality, non of those set ups came close to the sound I'm getting from the Luxman-R117 using the CD bypass and McCormack Deluxe DAC. I've owned high end audio systems for 25 years, some costing as much as a car and this is some of the best sound I have heard. Surely the vintage Luxman R-117 super receiver is one of the best bang for the buck components to be found in the used market place.

Strengths:
1)Clean power that can drive most any speaker load 2)CD bypass routes your CD signals more directly to the amp without colorations from the pre-amp controls. If your source material is good it sounds great, but if your source material is bad it will reveal the faults--as it should. 3)ability to bi-amp 4)remote control

Weaknesses:
May be difficult to find replacement parts or find someone to do qualified repairs

K

kodi41

Audiophyte
I can promise you if you had the Krell on hand to A/B, the Luxman would lose- graciously. I use a Kav- 400xi on 2.7qr and it is very good indeed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis