Cheap outdoor speakers for an 8000sq ft machine shop

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
Okay, I need everyone to take off their audiophile hats for some help on this one. We've got an 8000 sq ft machine shop with ~20 ft ceilings, and I need to get some sound out there for music and talk radio, especially for the night and weekend guys. The space is not going to get any acoustic treatments and the speakers will be battling the noise of large compressors and machining centers, so quality is irrelevant. Haven't measured ambient noise, but I'd guess around 60dB.

I'm thinking of putting in about 8 indoor/outdoor speakers run off of cheap pro amps, single channel (maybe A/B/AB channels for opposite ends of the shop). Something like these:
Dayton Audio IO435B 4" 3-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speaker Pair Bla | 310-030
KLH 403
And then either a pair of 4 channel pro amps or a multi-room home amp. Any recommendations? Shouldn't need more than 100W/channel.

I'd like do the whole thing for under $500, preferably half that with a lot of used speakers off of eBay. Possible?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sure...
I would go with
DENON DRA-397 AM/FM Multi Source/Zone Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less
4 sets of these YAMAHA NS-AW150 Outdoor 5" 2-Way Speakers Pair Black | Accessories4less {I own these, very easy to run sound great, last forever}
and one of these Amazon.com: Monoprice 109995 4-Channel Speaker Selector: Electronics

run the recievers 2 channels into the selectors, then run the selector to each speaker... it has built in impedance control so it will make sure not to burn the amp down with the 8 speakers, and you will have plenty of sound at 1/2 volume...
That will come in under $500 and be quality stuff that will last and sound good..

My uncles shop that is quite large and noisy {they fabricate carnival equipment} and he uses a single loudspeaker at each end of the shop, floor level near the doors... like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mackie-TH-15A-Thump-5-2-way-Active-SR-Loudspeaker-TH15A-TH15-B-Stock-B-/400635467831?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5d47bc1837 then you have minimal wiring all in one, just plug in an ipod or phone and 120v...

Last edited:
O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
Awesome, thanks imcloud. Speakers are about the largest I've seen at that price (I care about efficiency, not space or appearance). The speaker selector especially makes life super easy, since there's plenty of stereo amps/receivers to be found.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome, thanks imcloud. Speakers are about the largest I've seen at that price (I care about efficiency, not space or appearance). The speaker selector especially makes life super easy, since there's plenty of stereo amps/receivers to be found.

You are welcome, I like yamaha built in and outdoor speakers a lot, they are bang for buck, sound good, well built... I don't think you will need as much power as you think, I run aronud 20w to my whole house system and its loud..

R

rizzo269

Audiophyte
+1 on the Yamaha's. I had the same ones on my patio at my old house and they sounded pretty decent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis