changing speaker wires

M

max johnson

Audiophyte
if you change the speaker wires to heavier gauge from the amp to the back of the speaker enclosures ,do you need to change the wires from the crossover to the speakers ?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
if you change the speaker wires to heavier gauge from the amp to the back of the speaker enclosures ,do you need to change the wires from the crossover to the speakers ?
And, is is not very far at all.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The speaker wires only need to be changed if you have run the wrong ones for the job. The wires already in the crossover are already the right ones for that job ... Mr. Max Johnson.

M

max johnson

Audiophyte
The speaker wires only need to be changed if you have run the wrong ones for the job. The wires already in the crossover are already the right ones for that job ... Mr. Max Johnson.
have added a new speaker now running 2 jbl d130. existing speaker wires are 18 gauge. what is best guage for this set up to get better sound. I have wired the new crossovers also with 18 guage. Thanks for your input, max

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The best gauge would be dependent on the length of the wire run and nominal impedance of your speakers. Here's a link to a wire table. AH has a wire table too but I wasn't able to find it. It's a little more in favor of heavier wire but for me the short answer is 12 ga.

You wouldn't have a picture of your rewired crossovers, would you?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The effect of wire gauge is directly proportional to its length. You would be surprised to see what is used in some fairly expensive speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
have added a new speaker now running 2 jbl d130. existing speaker wires are 18 gauge. what is best guage for this set up to get better sound. I have wired the new crossovers also with 18 guage. Thanks for your input, max
Don't expect an epiphany in the way your speakers sound by changing gauge. Rewiring the crossover was an exercise in futility but if it made you feel better, good for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis