Changing Speaker Frequencies

A

Anna Muratore

Audiophyte
I am doing a project for university that requires speaker and sound knowledge that I just do not have and was wondering if anyone can help me. I have very little knowledge about speakers and sound in general so be kind!

Essentially, I am aiming to produce a series of very rapid and powerful sound induced pressure fluctuations. I am very unsure as to how to do this. This project also requires trial and error and ability to test at different frequencies. Assuming I have 0 sound knowledge I was wondering you can change the frequencies at which speakers operate? And if anyone knows to to induce pressure fluctuations and potentially control them?

Let me know!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am doing a project for university that requires speaker and sound knowledge that I just do not have and was wondering if anyone can help me. I have very little knowledge about speakers and sound in general so be kind!

Essentially, I am aiming to produce a series of very rapid and powerful sound induced pressure fluctuations. I am very unsure as to how to do this. This project also requires trial and error and ability to test at different frequencies. Assuming I have 0 sound knowledge I was wondering you can change the frequencies at which speakers operate? And if anyone knows to to induce pressure fluctuations and potentially control them?

Let me know!
I would like to know where your professors and school mentors are. You also could start researching the elementary physics of sound.

You would find out that all sound waves are pressure fluctuations. The faster the higher in pitch the sound and the shorter the wave length. The frequency of a sound X its wavelength = the velocity of sound, which you can take as 1,100 ft/sec.

So a loudspeaker induces the pressure fluctuations you are asking for. The louder the greater the pressure change.

In order to vary the frequency you need a signal generator. This needs to be variable from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Usually this happens in ranges on most units. This needs to be connected to an amplifier with a volume control. The volume control will alter the magnitude of the pressure changes. The amplifier is connected to the loudspeaker.

To measure these changes you need a microphone connected to a mic preamp or mixer. This needs to be connected to an oscilloscope so you can see the amplitude and frequency of these pressure changes. These days there are also USB mics and programs that can make a computer act as an oscilloscope.

Now if there are terms here you don't understand look them up. As a student that is how you do research. I will not spoon feed you any further without you doing research to educate yourself.

Your professors should have at least done what I have done. Are they having an early bar time, or tee off on the golf course?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Let me know!
How powerful are we talking about here? in dB SPL.

If you don't need anything insane, get a laptop computer, a self-amplified speaker like this, a USB measurement microphone like this, and some software like this (that is free software). If you need to record and examine your sound closely, use this software also (also free). As TLS Guy said, typical loudspeakers do exactly what you describe needs to be done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis