Changing rear port speakers to front ported speakers.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Any way to change the port location on my Philharmonitor bookshelf speakers? I really like the way they sound but because they sound better with rear clearance they have to be set too far out in a smail room.

I know I could send them back and have them changed but was wondering if there are any other ways. Adapter or what?

Thanks, Roger

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I wouldn't alter a thing on those on my own. If you really know what you're doing... maybe not even then. I've seen so many posts about those speakers and have seen over and over that @Dennis Murphy's work is impeccable. I would be afraid of changing anything on them. At the very least I'd contact him and run it by him. See if he has any suggestions or if it's neven advisable.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Already did that. I'm looking for any OTHER ways.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't it be easier just to rearrange placement? Or is there some serious WAF issue here?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
  1. Yes, much easier but impossible due to room AND WAF!
See below

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is just a horrible location for a sound system. The walls are just too close together.

If you must change the port, you will have to side port them on the inside wall panels. I don't think there is enough room for a port on the front panel.

That will mean removing the current port and completely sealing up the holes. You will have to remove all drivers and drill the holes for a new port of exactly the dimensions as the old.

Quite honestly though, that horrid little cubby hole does not merit a sound system. I would find another location, even if it is another room.

Basically audio and AV system bring enormous pleasure, and you wife needs to understand that audio and AV systems do not really detract from the decor. Homes are not for view, but to be lived in and enjoyed. A big part of the enjoyment for many is getting the best out of audio and AV systems.

Your wife needs setting straight.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like the way they sound but because they sound better with rear clearance they have to be set too far out in a smail room.r
I bet the difference in sound when those speakers are pulled out of the cubby has more to do with them being pulled out of the cubby than with which side the port is on. I have rear ported speakers actually really close to walls and pulling them out didn't change the FR by much as measured by REW.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The obvious answer in this case is to always use high quality headphones. No other reasonable choice comes to mind.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is just a horrible location for a sound system. The walls are just too close together.

If you must change the port, you will have to side port them on the inside wall panels. I don't think there is enough room for a port on the front panel.

That will mean removing the current port and completely sealing up the holes. You will have to remove all drivers and drill the holes for a new port of exactly the dimensions as the old.

Quite honestly though, that horrid little cubby hole does not merit a sound system. I would find another location, even if it is another room.

Basically audio and AV system bring enormous pleasure, and you wife needs to understand that audio and AV systems do not really detract from the decor. Homes are not for view, but to be lived in and enjoyed. A big part of the enjoyment for many is getting the best out of audio and AV systems.

Your wife needs setting straight.
Amen!

I keep my rear ported speakers about 15" from the wall, but could probably get them even closer without affecting sq much at all.

The posts above are all in line with my thinking, if that room is your only choice then moving ports won't help anything. Surely your wife didn't make shove all your gear in there?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Even with front ported speakers, the side walls will not be your friend.

1. Make some type of compromise with your wife, or use headphones.

2. Place speakers on shelf when not listening -- pull out when listening

3. move your current cabinet somewhere else -- then get something like this for the center, receiver, etc, -- still a somewhat sound compromise
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/megalakfinitiontuxedostereocabinetblack.cfm

4. Do you have another room in house you can use for personal listening?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw a couple other threads of by you, and it looks like you really want to improve the sound quality of your speakers, but I dont remember if you mentioned your room in any of those. That is such a huge factor that many people don't even think about. Your room is almost as important as the speakers are.

You pretty much have one of the Rolls-Royce of speakers as far as bookshelves go; Truly, your only solution is to get them out of that room and put them somewhere they can breathe a little. It's definitely not good to have them all cramped in that little space with side walls so close. I think you'd be shocked if you heard them properly set up. I would absolutely love to own a set of those.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That Good4it chap needs to put his wife on the forum so my wife can give her What4it!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

If the Misses is adverse to moving the whole system elsewhere I'd start by moving just the TV, and the speakers. Then try to hide the speaker wires & HDMI Cable for the TV.

To get the proper staging you need about 8 feet of separation for the two front speakers. If you can, take a look here for guidance on speaker positioning for a 5.1 set-up. Pay particular attention to having the speakers at ear level when seated.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis